La Gitana (Roman Gypsies)

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
jtapia

La Gitana (Roman Gypsies)

Post by jtapia »

It is believed (passed down in family stories) that my great great great grandmother was known simply as "Teresina La Gitana" or Little Teresa the Gypsy. Does anyone have any knowledge of the Gitana or even the practice of Mal' Occhio (the Evil Eye) of the 1800s or early 1900s in Italy? I am interested in Roma and Cori (Latina) in particular.

Thank you.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: La Gitana (Roman Gypsies)

Post by mfjp »

Re: Malocchio... Here's an interesting site...
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/err/index.htm

The copy below was from CHAPTER III THE EXORCISM OF DEATH

"'Bruccio questa robba,
Perche voi altre streghe maladette
Non potete avere mai bene,
Perche io vi cerchato una fortuna
Che non me l'avete voluta dare!'"

("'This plant upon the coals I burn
To do ye witches an evil turn.
May every evil come to ye.
I asked a favour, and I see
That none from you has come to me!'")
tbottegal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tbottegal »

Here is a short article with new findings about the origins of Roma:
  • Science News, 25 Sept. 04, Vol 166, p197
While this isn't about your family in particular, it's quite interesting and you might want to make a copy for your files.

T. Bottegal
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

My compliments to the Chef!! Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I was in Rome December 2003, and I had a horrid experience with gypsies in the streets. My friend was accosted by a group of Gypsy women they tried grabbing his bag and they were all over him rubbing his back feeling for his wallet/money. I started yelling at them as loud as I could, they finally left him alone. He was shaking like a leaf afterward.
I had a similar experience in Palma de Mallorca a few years back, tho thankfully I was staying with Spanish natives and they quickly dispersed them. From what I understand they are a problem in almost all European larger cities.

Jim Bianco
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

My friend who lives in Italy sporatically with her 'Italian' mom, says sometimes the children are worse. They use a piece of cardboard and wrap it around tourists banging on the cardboard while one of the children goes underneath and takes a wallet or something. I MYSELF have never seen anything like that, but my friend blends well so they never try to go for her..
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I suggest you buy one of those collapsable car radio antennae and when you are similarly surrounded just pull it out and get their attention. Peter
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Not that I've ever been looted by a wild band of gypsies, the post did
bring back memories of my nonna. Whenever I was bad, she would tell me I better be good or the gypsies would get me. I hadn't thought of gypsies in years, thanks for putting a smile on my face :lol:
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

AmyT wrote: I MYSELF have never seen anything like that, but my friend blends well so they never try to go for her..
It's really frightening. For some reason they never touched me, I think it is because all of my clothes were Italian and I have ethnic features, while my friend is a typical looking American tourist type. It's funny, all these insults my nona used to teach me as a child came out when I was yelling at them. My accent is near perfect so maybe thats why they let him go.

Jim
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Well, I had an acquaintance who traveled to Greece with two of my friends and she wore cowboy boots and wrangler jeans with some ill form fitting T-shirt of hers, and she was very loud and touristy... -- she is the type of girl that makes Italian men think that American girls are easy. This is the type that is usually pegged for conning, that and I think anyone who wears a fanny pack :lol:
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'