Need help tracing a name back

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
eric5021
Rookie
Rookie

Need help tracing a name back

Post by eric5021 »

I am trying to find out information about my great grandfather's parents. He was from Denmark, but my grandfather is pretty sure his mother was Italian. His name is Svend Henry Johnsen. When he came to America, he was called Sydney. According to my grandfather, he was born in New York while his parents were on vacation and went back to Denmark with them. He had 2 sisters, Ella Johnsen and Seia Johnsen who stayed in Denmark. He came back to America, fought in World War 1 and was discharged in New Orleans, where he settled. He was born in 1899 and died in 1964. He was married to Antoinette Valenti and they had 2 kids, Donald and Gloria. Gloria died and Donald is losing his memory, but swears his grandma was Italian. He does not know there names. I would appreciate any help because I have hit a dead end.

Thanks
Eric
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Need help tracing a name back

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I must be tired as I am having a hard time following your narrative. :)

If any of the persons involved were in the US at any time after 1940'ish, they would have had a social security card, the application for which required that they list their parent's full names including mother's maiden name.

If this sounds at all helpful, then visit http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm to learn how you can obtain a copy of a deceased person's social security card application.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
eric5021
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eric5021 »

Johnny,

I checked the SS Death Index and I could not find him. Do you have any other suggestions for finding something about him?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Is it Svend/Sydney Henry Johnsen that we are looking for then? Born 1899 (Denmark?), died 1964 (New Orleans)?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
eric5021
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eric5021 »

From what I know, he was born Svend Henry Johnsen to parents living in Denmark in 1899. I was told he was born in New York while his parents were on vacation, but some in my family think he made that up to join the Army in World War 1. They say he came back to America as a merchant marine. He died in New Orleans in 1964, and his obituary said Sydney, which everyone called him when my grandpa was growing up.

Thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

eric5021 wrote:Johnny,

I checked the SS Death Index and I could not find him. Do you have any other suggestions for finding something about him?
The online index is far from complete:
Deaths included in this index may have been submitted by a survivor requesting benefits or in order to stop Social Security Benefits to the deceased. Most of the information (about 98%) included in this index dates from 1962, although some data is from as early as 1937. This is because 1962 is the year that the SSA began to use a computer database for processing requests for benefits. Many of the earlier records (1937-1962) have never been added to this computerized database.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/vital_records/a/ssdi.htm
You can still request a search of SS records, even without a social security number. See http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

You can try for a Louisiana death certificate for Svend; http://wwwprd.doa.louisiana.gov/LaServi ... ce_id=3436

States vary; in New York, death certificates list social security number of the deceased as well as parent's names (although this information is often in error).
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

How firm is that 1899 date?

I found a WWI Draft Registration Card for Henry Sydney Johnsen, born March 13, 1898, occupation Farmer, residing in Evangeline, Louisiana. Next of kin Eliza Pitre (?) Johnsen.
Carmine

eric5021
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eric5021 »

1899 is an approximation. My grandpa knew he was 65 when he died, and we know he died in 1964. This could be him Where did you find the WW1 Registration card?

Also, I remember his family was from 30 miles south of Copenhagen.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

eric5021 wrote:1899 is an approximation. My grandpa knew he was 65 when he died, and we know he died in 1964. This could be him Where did you find the WW1 Registration card?

Also, I remember his family was from 30 miles south of Copenhagen.
I found the draft registration on Ancestry . com; I have attached it below. Truthfully, Evangeline is quite some distance from New Orleans, about 175 miles.

See this thread ( http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15686/ ) for information on how you might be able to obtain a substantially better copy.

Getting back to the social security death index for a moment, the upshot of that section I quoted above is that if a person never collected or collected and died before 1962, they are probably not going to be listed in the online index. My suspicion is that Svend/Sydney/Sidney never collected, having died right around age 65 and that is why you cannot find him in the index.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... IDraft.jpg

Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I think you are also going to need to consider the probability that "Johnsen" is most likely not the original spelling. Afew more likely choices would be Johansen, Jonsson, or Jonssen - not that I am expert on Danish names.
Carmine

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi,

Have you checked on Ellis Island for entries for him? It might give you some idea of his family's movements to and from USA.

I found several Svend Johnsen (in fact, there are many people with that surname), but no Svend Henry Johnsen.

Seraphina
eric5021
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eric5021 »

Johnny,

The name may have changed, but my grandpa claims that his sisters in Denmark had the same spelling that we do. However, he is not very reliable anymore.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In furtherance of your research perhaps www.danelink.com can be a source for you.

further go to www.familysearch.org and put in his name. Under ancestor search you will come up with all the variations starting with Svend. What you need here is research on your part for all the variations in the spelling and in the approximate birth year if the birth year is unknown. =Peter=
~Peter~
eric5021
Rookie
Rookie

Post by eric5021 »

This is the only document I can find on him (his death notice)

http://files.usgwarchives.org/la/orlean ... pi1964.txt