Frasennelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Frasenelli

Frasennelli

Post by Frasenelli »

We are off to Pontremoli later this month to do some research (amongst other things!) on the family name.
We know that Giovanni Frasenelli was born in the town in around 1837/9.
Realistically what are our chances of finding out his actualy birth date and obtaining a copy of his birth certificate? We would also love to be able to find out if he had any siblings.
We will hopefully have an Italian friend with us who will be able to translate what we find.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Frasennelli

Post by maestra36 »

From experiences of those I know who have gone to Italy and attempted to get records while there, I can only tell you that it depends on your particular town. Do you speak the dialect, for one thing? Some people have had very good luck with the town registry (called anagrafe) offices, whereas others have not. Those offices may have limited hours, so you need to check on that, and also the clerks may not be that willing to help you. Some offices will not make you a photocopy, as their books are very old and falling apart. I have a cousin who went to one town and everything was disorganized. The books with the records were just thrown all over the place. We had had better luck doing the research from the U.S., but you haven't really left yourself sufficient time to do that. As to the church records, not all towns have resident priests. Some priests tend to parishes in more than one locality. I have read that you just can't go and ring the bell of a rectory and expect a priest to give you his assistance.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

anagrafe@comune.pontremoli.ms.it

This is an email address for the anagrafe office in your town (no spaces in email address). Below is the times they are open:

lunedì 08:30 - 12:30
martedì 08:30 - 12:30
mercoledì 08:30 - 12:30
giovedì 08:30 - 12:30
venerdì 08:30 - 12:30
sabato 08:30 - 12:30
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You might try emailing the office in Italian first to see if they can send you the exact date of birth for Giovanni since you have the years narrowed down.
Frasenelli

Post by Frasenelli »

Many thanks, do you think I should send them an email in Italian or English?
I have a friend who can translate for me.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

To help with letters or emails in Italian:

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Also excellent advise on this website
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

to get a list of the churches in your town, you can look in the Italian yellow pages:

http://www.paginegialle.it/

type in chiese cattoliche where it says cosa and the name of your town where it says dove
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There are a number of parishes in this town
Frasenelli

Post by Frasenelli »

Thank you so much maestra36!
Very useful information.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If you are sending an email or letter to a town for info or to a parish, you need to write the letter or email in Italian.
Frasenelli

Post by Frasenelli »

Well, we went to Pontremoli but were unlucky and didn't get any information at all :(
We did visit the cemetary though (what a beautiful place!) and found lots of other Frassinelli graves. We at least now know that this is the correct spelling of the name. But apart from that nothing.
Does anyone know if there are passenger lists from Italy to London available anywhere?