Questions about a baptism record in Latin

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Questions about a baptism record in Latin

Post by jwazevedo »

I've just returned from Italy where I had the chance to take a look at the parish records for my ancestors, which was quite fun. Now I join the ranks of all of the rest of you who've struggled to interpret the Latin records. The Cole book has been of some use, but I'm hoping that someone here might help with a few questions.

Here is one of the baptism records:
http://img811.imageshack.us/i/ponciadom ... ptism.jpg/

Here's what I can interpret so far (I think):
Record #30
Poncia Petrus Celestes son of Petri
Date: 14 Jul 1876
Parents: Poncia Pietro, son of Giovanni, and Pozzi Maria Carolina, daughter of Domenico
Date of parents' marriage: 14 Apr 1874
Witnesses:
Pozzi Antonio, son of Antonio and Nadale Maria
Silvani Celestina, daughter of Guigliermo and Pozzi Domenica

What I can't decipher is the date of birth. I can see "8 in the morning" but not the actual date. From the civil records, I know it's the 13th, but I don't see that here. Also, the civil records show that the parents were married in November of 1874, not April. Any thoughts on the discrepancy? Also, the child's name was actually Domenico Celeste, not Pietro Celeste, so again, would you have any idea why there might be this discrepancy between the civil and parish documents?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Best,
Jerry
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Questions about a baptism record in Latin

Post by maestra36 »

I see that the child was baptized on the 14th of July 1876, the date which appears at the top of the record. For the day of the birth, I believe it says that the child was born yesterday at 8 a.m. The date of the parents' marriage given in the record -April 14 1874-is for their church marriage. The marriage date you found in November of 1874 was for the couple's civil marriage.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I forgot to tell you that the Latin word for yesterday heri is written right before the word for born.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Oh, that helps. Thanks for that. I can see now how this works, which will help me interpret the other records.

Was it common to have the church wedding and the civil ceremony spaced apart like that? I wonder why.

Best,
Jerry