Translations of documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
RosyDay

Translations of documents

Post by RosyDay »

Hi,
I have obtained and corrected all documents and ready for translation. I am applying for citizenship Grandfather-Mother-Me.
My grandparents were born in Italy and married in NYC.

Can someone who has recently had an app't w the NY consulate tell me which documents need to be translated into Italian.
I think it is my grandparent's marriage license, my mother's BC and marriage license, my BC and my marriage license. If I am wrong please correct me.
Thanks
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Translations of documents

Post by PeterTimber »

why do'n't you inquire at the Consulate and ask them? =Peter=
~Peter~
fiat82

Post by fiat82 »

The NY web page has a very complete list of documents and translation requirements. Look for the Citizenship tab. If I recall, every single document needs translation, except of course Italian documents
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

fiat82 wrote:The NY web page has a very complete list of documents and translation requirements. Look for the Citizenship tab. If I recall, every single document needs translation, except of course Italian documents
I do not believe this is correct.

When I submitted in NYC in mid-2008 (GF -> Father -> Myself), the only documents which required translations were my own birth and marriage certificates. None at all for earlier generations. Apostilles, yes; translations, no.

The consulate web sites make many demands which are not ultimately enforced. For example, the need to acquire all documents for both the Italian side of the applicant's lineage and the non-Italian side. NYC's website says this is required, but when documents are finally submitted, they normally do not even look at them let alone take them.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

which is why I always recommend that you speak with the consulate when you have questions. Your dealing with rules, regulations, policy and procedures subject to change at the will of those in authority.

Administration can be more lethal than a bullet! =Peter=
~Peter~