Pignanelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TiffanyLamkin
Rookie
Rookie

Pignanelli

Post by TiffanyLamkin »

Hi everyone. I was wondering if you could help me. My great great grandmother, Filomena Pignanelli, came over in 1906 with her four children (Maria, Francesco, Clarice, and Anunzio Olivito). She was the widow of Antonio Olivito and was from Caccuri. She and the kids settled in West Virginia. Maria was my great grandmother, so I know her story, but have no idea what happened to Filomena or any of the others. Would she have gone by Pignanelli or Olivito in America? I can't find census records, death records or anything. Any help would be greatly apprciated!
Searching for the following surnames: Dangoia, Gioia, Laurenzana, Pignanelli, Olivito, Falbo, Colosimo, Rizzo, Montano.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Pignanelli

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum :D !
We'll be happy to see what we can do to help.
Valarie
TiffanyLamkin wrote:...Would she have gone by Pignanelli or Olivito in America?...
Great question. We've seen it both ways.
Let's see if we can find her.

For everyone's reference, your 1906 manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Francesco Frank's death certificate appears on the website www.familysearchlabs.org. Once on that website, go to West Virginia Deaths, 1853 to 1870. You can retrieve a copy of the actual death certificate from that website.

He died at the age of 63 on Dec 21, 1953 in Clarksburg, WVa and is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery. He was 63 and a retired miner at the time of his death. His est year of birth was March 30, 1889 born in Caccuri. He was buried Dec 24, 1953.

Filomena would have gone under her married name in the U.S. In Italian records, she would have been listed under her maiden name.

His mother's maiden name is given on his death certificate. His parents Antonio Olivito and Filomena Pignanelli

Francesco married Maria F. Lacaria on Nov 24, 1913 in Harrison, WVa. She was 21 years old and Francesco was 22. Her parents were Pasqualle Lacaria and Maria Lacaria. His parents Antonio Olivito and Filomena Pignanelli Olivito. The bride's est year of birth was 1892 and his is given as est year of 1891. This record is also online at the website I previously gave you.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

perhaps Filomena remarried by 1910?
same town as brother Giovanni (mentioned on 1906 manifest)

possible 1910 census
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2561/1910.jpg

Home in 1910:
Grant, Marion, West Virginia

head Bruno Montanyas 42, abt 1868 IT
- married 3 yrs, abt 1907
- immig 1907, Al
- miner, coal mine
wife Philomena Montanyas 46, abt 1864 IT
- married twice
- 4 children born, 3 children living
- immig 1907, Al
stepson Frank Oliverio 20, abt 1890 IT
- immig 1907, Al
- miner, coal mine
stepdaughter Csilla Oliverio 14, abt 1896 IT
- immig 1907, Al
stepson Antonio Oliverio 7, abt 1903 IT
- immig 1907, Al

boarders:
Gueseppi Pennetti 25
Pasquale Covall 20
John Dores 33
Joseph Massy 23
Frank Pucchi 28[24]
Paul Pucchi 18
James Frank 20

(Hi maestra :D !)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Hi Valarie

I see a Giovanni Pignanelli on a 1910 census but Filomena and her family are not enumerated with him, his wife, and children. Not sure this would be her brother mentioned on the manifest. He was only 28 on the 1910 census, a lot younger than the Philomena you found. Giovanni and his family were living at 114 Main Street in Marion County.

Peg
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

couldn't find this record on the FamilySearch site :? , but it was on the WV Archives site

1907 Marriage Certificate

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1376/00207.jpg
Date: 1907 Place: Marion, West Virginia
Bride: Filomena Pignanello, 42 (abt 1865)
Groom: Montegnese Bruno, 33 (abt 1874)

edit: added ages
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

maestra36 wrote:Hi Valarie

I see a Giovanni Pignanelli on a 1910 census but Filomena and her family are not enumerated with him, his wife, and children. Not sure this would be her brother mentioned on the manifest. He was only 28 on the 1910 census, a lot younger than the Philomena you found. Giovanni and his family were living at 114 Main Street in Marion County.

Peg
Hi Peg!
You're right, thank you.
Giovanni born abt 1882, Filomena born abt 1864 = 18 yrs difference...
Perhaps a cousin
Giovanni Pignanelli & family 1910
Valarie
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Great finds, Valarie.

Actually, Valarie, I have a number of direct line ancestors whose oldest child was twenty years older than their youngest, so an age difference of 18 years does not mean that Giovanni on that 1910 census and Filomena were not brother and sister. Need to keep an open mind about it at this time.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

ditto Peg :D !
I really enjoy using the FamilySearch pilot site
Beside being FREE, names & dates don't have to be exact

You're right about the 18 year gap we have the same thing in my family - 1897 to 1926 :wink:

If Giovanni and Filomena are brother and sister that's a lot of possible siblings between that may have come to the US

Valarie
TiffanyLamkin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TiffanyLamkin »

You guys are amazing! I have been looking for months and haven't been able to find anything. Thanks so much!
Searching for the following surnames: Dangoia, Gioia, Laurenzana, Pignanelli, Olivito, Falbo, Colosimo, Rizzo, Montano.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You probably already have this info, but I just found death info for Mary Olivito Falbo who died on May 8, 1968 in Fayetta, W Va. Her parents were Tony Olivito and Felaamena Pegnagelli. This certificate should be on www.familysearchlabs.org under West Virginia Deaths, 1853-1970.

I accidentally put an extra a in Felamena, which is the way the name comes up in the search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There's 1909 marriage info for Maria Olivito and Gennaro Talbo Marion W Va under the category West Virginia Marriages, 1853-1970

http://www.wvculture.org/vrr/va_mcsearch.aspx

On the West Virginia records website, you can view the marriage record as well. Her mother's last name is spelled correctly on the website.

They were married Jan 30, 1909 in Fairmont W Va
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I also found a stillborn child of undetermined sex whose parents were Clarise Oliveto and Pasco Covello-buried in Shinnston Cemetery. Date of death Sept 14, 1926. I can't find marriage info for this Clarise to determine if she is your Clarice Olivito.

I also found a marriage for a Nellie Helen Cavallo, age 16, born in abt 1920 who married on May 2, 1936 in Harrison W Va. The groom was William George Klimmek, age 22, born in 1914. His parents were George Klimmek and Elizabeth Bush Klimmek. The bride's parents were Pasco Cavallo and Clara Olivito Cavallo.

So this Clara may very well be your Clarice and her married last name would be either Cavallo or Covello.

Info from West Virginia Marriages, 1853-1970 on www.familysearchlabs.org
TiffanyLamkin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TiffanyLamkin »

Thanks so much!!! I can't believe how much information you have found so quickly. The Maria Olivito / Gennaro Talbo (actually Falbo, the mariage cert. is misspelled) marriage is that of my great grandparents. They ended up going by John and Mary Falbo. They had 11 children (only 9 of whom survived childhood). A son named James and a son named Benjamin were either stillborn or died as young children. They would have been born in WV, probably the Shinnston area. I've looked for info on them as well, but haven't been able to find anything. Any chance you could find them? There was a later son named James as well, but he survived, so it may be confusing. Thanks again!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Last night, I found three more children born to Clara Olevito Cavallo. There is one born as early as Aug 17, 1911. Since your Clarice was 14 in 1910, she would have had to be married at an extremely young age to have this child in 1911. Not impossible, but I would feel a lot better if we could track down marriage information for this Clara to confirm that she your Clarice, or the 1920 census to make sure she was not still single then. For now, we have to remain open minded to the possibility that she is not yours, but I am sending you the info I found anyway.

Daughter Elizabeth Cavallo born on Aug 17, 1911 in Marion County, W VA. Daughter of ? Cavallo and Claria Oliveto Cavallo. Married in Harrison WVa on Dec 26, 1931. Her spouse was Rocco Cavallaro, the son of James Cavallaro and Stella Monteano Cavallaro. The groom was born on Jan 30, 1901 and was 30 at the time of the marriage. The bride, Elizabeth Cavallo, was 20.

Daughter Felimone Cavallo, born on Oct 15, 1912 in Marion County was age 17 when she married Paul Thobois, age 24, born on Nov 4, 1905. He had been born in France. Their marriage took place on March 1, 1930 in Harrison W Va. He was the son of Henry Thobois and Caroline Lomponts Thobois. She was the daughter of Pasco Cavallo and Clara Olivetto Cavallo.

Daughter Rosie Cavallo born about 1916 married Milt Scrivo born about 1907 on Sept 15, 1932. He was 25 at the time of the marriage and she was 16. His parents James Scrivo and Rose Mittica Scrivo and her parents were Pasco Cavallo and Clara Olevito Cavallo.

Anyway, I hate to be repetitive, but these people may not be connected to your ancestry. We need to find proof that this Clara Cavallo was your ancestor Clarice Olivito by finding a marriage record for her and Pasco Cavallo. The document may be online with their names badly misspelled, but so far I can't find it. So you may want to try concentrating on that yourself.