FHC Microfilms?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

FHC Microfilms?

Post by lilbees »

I am wondering if the microfilm for Castellammare di Stabia listed in the FHL for 1900- is any different than the collection they have on the Family Search Pilot site for Castellammare di Stabia? Would this information be included in those records?

Thanks,
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: FHC Microfilms?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It is just a guess, but I would imagine the difference, if any, may be in how completely the films have been indexed. If the films are only partially indexed, then data won't be searchable on the pilot site.

Also, even for the records which are indexed/searchable, the data which can be viewed on screen is a minimal subset of what can be seen in individual microfilm images.

A search at the pilot site using nothing but the place name "Castellammare di Stabia" turns up 1,028 records. See http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... Id=8230159

The only available microfilm for the comune is titled "Registri dello stato civile di Castellammare di Stabia (Napoli), 1900-1929" which is not a heck of a lot of useful data and may very well be roughly 1,028 images. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks Carmine. I have been searching for the death record of a family member who died between 1900 and 1915 in Castellammare di Stabia.

I have gone through the online collection on the Pilot Search site with no success. I am hoping that the film mentioned may be more complete.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

lilbees wrote:Thanks Carmine. I have been searching for the death record of a family member who died between 1900 and 1915 in Castellammare di Stabia.

I have gone through the online collection on the Pilot Search site with no success. I am hoping that the film mentioned may be more complete.

lilbees
Care to tell us his/her name?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Looking for the death record for Giuseppe Rescigno b. 02 Jun 1844 in Roccapiemonte. He was still living at the time of the marriage of his daughter Giula, 16 Mar 1900. By 12 Dec 1915, at the death of this same daughter he showed as being deceased.

Nothing shows in the indexes for that time period and I have gone through each record for those years in hopes that he was missed and/or added as a supplement.

lilbees
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Lilbees, have you obtained your ancestor's Italian birth certificate - which I gather from other posts took place in a different comune?

My experience has been that the birth certificate of someone who died in Italy will have a notation concerning the date and place of death. Granted, my experience is limited to persons who were born and died in the same comune, but it is certainly worth looking into.
Carmine

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Getting records from Roccapiemonte has been difficult at the very least. I have all records for the family from Roccapiemonte (mostly obtained from the Archives since family births occurred 1840 thru 1852. The entire family moved to Castellammare di Stabia shortly after 1852. Thank goodness FHL pilot site put them online for that area (Under Napoli).

Giuseppe has been the only death record I have been unable to find at this point. Have all the spouses and children, etc. My records at this point are pretty complete which include my grt grandfather who immigrated to Sicily and then to Tunisia.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I forgot to mention in my attempts to obtain church records I learned that the church in question burned around 1900 so nothing could be obtained from there (so they tell me)???

lilbees
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Well, something is not right here...

Searching pilot.familysearch.org using nothing other than "Castellammare di Stabia, Napoli, Italy" actually finds only 7 birth records, 1 marriage, and 2 death. And most of those are US records which mention a parent who was from Castellammare.

Obviously, that is not the entire contents of the microfilm. :!:
Carmine

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi Carmine, you need to search the "collections" portion of that site rather than to just do a search. The records they have at this point are not searchable. You have to go to the actual database.

When you go to the site click on the "browse collections", click on it again in the next screen. Scroll down to Italy and select the Napoli collection. Within that collection you need to select Castellammare di Stabia and go from there to access the records be they nasita, morte, matrimoni, etc.

lilbees
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Carmine,
Just a note of clarification.
I don't know what is typical in the rest of Italy, but the thousands of records I have scanned in S.M. have no death annotations, only matrimonio annotations on the birth record.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi Jim, on many of the birth records I have found there is a notation of a marriage and/or a death.

Usually the records from the Archives I have received have not had any such notations. They have only shown if I receive a record from the comune itself.

lilbees
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

lilbees,
Are you referring to microfilmed records from the FHC library? I have no experience with any other types. I have never requested a record from any communes in Italy. My research has been only at the mormon library.
I don't believe I have ever seen a death annotation on the microfilmed birth records.
EXCEPTION: I have noted death records as part of the Allegati register for marriage where a parent's death has preceded the wedding of a child.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Actually, Jim, I have a 1903 birth record for a child whose father was the informant on the record. The father was 21 at the time his son was born. In the margin of this microfilmed birth record is stamped information concerning the father's death in WWI in 1917.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I meant to add that on the father's own birth record, however, his death information does not appear in the margin. Only information concerning his marriage does.