ISO WW1 Military Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

ISO WW1 Military Records

Post by LinJ47 »

Does anyone know how I could find the WW1 Records for my Great Uncle? I do not have access to Ancestry. The info I have on him is:

Name: Filadelfio SALANITRO
DOB: 23 Jan 1895 in San Fratello, Sicily
Parents: Eloisa LATTERI & Alfio SALANITRO of San Fratello, Sicily

I do not know if he was married and if so, if he had any children. I believe he died in a plane crash during his service. I do have his birth certificate and a WW1 photo of him. On the back of the photo is written:

"Fred (Filadelfio) Salanitro - Grandma Rizzo's brother- died in World War #1
shot down from plane"

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thank you,
Linda @ The Jersey Shore ~~~~~~~~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: ISO WW1 Military Records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I apologize for the silly question, but was he serving in the Italian military when he died? If so, then you should be able to find him here http://www.difesa.it/Templates/OnorCadu ... HINT=Guest but the only Salanitro's that come up are Carmelo and Natale. Sometimes you need to try many alternate spellings before finding the correct record.

Nevertheless, if he did serve in the Italian military, you should be able to obatin his complete military records by writing to the provincial archives for his place of birth following the procedure mentioned in this thread: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/

The address to write to would be:

Archivio di Stato di Messina
Via XXIV Maggio isol. 291, n.18
98122 Messina
ITALY

Email: as-me@beniculturali.it (remove the spaces)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Here there is some more infos about his death

SALANITRO FILADELFIO son of Alfio

Soldier of 137th Infantry Regiment, born on 22nd January 1895 in San Fratello, military district of Cefalù, died on 27th April 1917 in the Carso area because wounded while in action.

His military record should be kept at Messina State Archive

http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... me=MESSINA

This is the resume (written in italian) of the story of the 137th Infantry Regiment, Barletta Brigade

When he died his brigade was located at Castagnevizza area

http://www.cimeetrincee.it/barletta.pdf

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Holy Smokes! I NEVER expected such quick responses! You folks are the best! This is great news!

"johnnyonthespot"-
Thanks so much for those links and my apologies for not including the fact that Filadelfio SALANITRO was indeed in the ITALIAN ARMY! How could I have overlooked including that info?!!! LOL!

"ricbru"-
Also Thanks so much! I never expected to receive such detailed information from this posting! Incredible! I will definitely pursue all these web sites and addresses!

This is SO amazing!

Molti miei ringraziamenti i miei amici!

Linda :o)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Linda it was our pleasure,
bye Riccardo
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Ciao Riccardo,

In all my excitement yesterday I forgot to ask you where you found the record of my Great Uncle, Filadelfio Salanitro's military experience and subsequent death. It looks like you scanned it from a book. I would like to source this information.

Stupid question, my command of the Italian language is "cosi-cosi" at best, do you think I should try to write to those addresses in Italian or should I just stick to English? I am ok with standard letters but with this I think the request is more complicated.

How I WISH my parents had taught me to speak Italian! Unfortunately they kept it all to themselves!

Thanks so much,
Linda :o)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Linda,

Riccardo pulled that one on us in the past; I asked him where it came from and he linked to this site: http://www.cadutigrandeguerra.it/

Here is a google translation of the same site which should help you find your way around: http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... iso-8859-1

Your question about how to write the archives was answered in my post above.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
trapanigroup

Post by trapanigroup »

johnnyonthespot wrote:I apologize for the silly question, but was he serving in the Italian military when he died? If so, then you should be able to find him here http://www.difesa.it/Templates/OnorCadu ... HINT=Guest but the only Salanitro's that come up are Carmelo and Natale. Sometimes you need to try many alternate spellings before finding the correct record.

Nevertheless, if he did serve in the Italian military, you should be able to obatin his complete military records by writing to the provincial archives for his place of birth following the procedure mentioned in this thread: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/

The address to write to would be:

Archivio di Stato di Messina
Via XXIV Maggio isol. 291, n.18
98122 Messina
ITALY

Email: as-me@beniculturali.it (remove the spaces)
georgezavattoni1914

Post by georgezavattoni1914 »

Good afternoon -
I am doing some research on my grandfather - like Linda my grandfather was born in San Fratello on November 11, 1894. He served in WW 1 and survived - was injured in war and received several medals. His name was Antonio Borgia. How can I find info on him.. Would love to provide some info to my mom .

Any help would be appreciated.

George
trapanigroup

Post by trapanigroup »

Thats not all true. My Grandfather was born in Sicily, no records were found in that office. Next?
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

trapanigroup:

I don't understand your Fri Nov 01, 2013 reply. Please explain.

Thank you.
Brit605

Post by Brit605 »

Could anyone help please. I am trying to find information on my Iaconelli family. Everything is at a dead end the only clue I have left is that my grandmother had a young brother called Alberto who was killed in ww1. I have found only one person of this name on the military csduti nella guerra. The name, date of birth and father all fit in.
He was born in Trieste. My grandmother said she was from Caserta. There could be a link with Trieste as her mother was Czech or German. If it is the right Alberto he may have been born in Trieste but then lived in Caserta.
He is supposed to be on a roll of honour but nothing comes up.I have tried the Ministero della difesa but nothing there. I do not know which town or commune to write to for his records as I don't know where he lived. Any one got any ideas ?
Thanks Brit605
curlygirl

Post by curlygirl »

Hi.

My own tree research is as far as I can get it through civil records. I'll probably have to make a trip to Italy to search through local Catholic Church records in order to get more info.

In the meantime, I'm assisting other Italian-Americans with their trees...particularly those who come from the same general area as my family, or have the same surnames (so it's a good possibility), or are DNA matches...albeit, likely very deep matches (meaning distant cousins of the 5th-8th cousin level or so). It's been fun for me. And maybe someday I'll gain some added insight on my own tree through doing all of this.

Right now, I'm helping someone with their lineage. They've expressed interest in obtaining a copy of their family member's WWI military service record-- Bartolomeo Zolezzi was from San Bartolomeo / Riva Trigoso (Sestri Levante)

I see that there was an earlier discussion on this. I tried the look-up link that was provided in 2010 but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. Has it moved? Or is it just gone? Personally I'd like an online look-up option if one is available. And then a way to directly order a copy of the original record. There was mention about there being state archives, but I don't know the structure of their archive locations. Would appreciate an update.

Thanks!
Ronda