DeFalco family from Pomigliano d'Arco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nite-owl

DeFalco family from Pomigliano d'Arco

Post by nite-owl »

Hello. I am new to the forums, so I hope I am starting in the right place. I've been able to find a lot of information about my great grandfather, Mauro DeFalco who was born in Pomigliano d'Arco in January 1889. He came to the states in 1905, settled in Chicago, married and had a large family. I am trying to trace his 2 sisters, Antoinetta and Assunta ("Susie") who settled in NY. I found Antoinetta in the 1930 census living in Queens, NY - which matches up with what I know of her. She married a man named Pasquale ("Pat") Esposito. The census records show them arriving in the states in 1920, but what I remember of the family history chatter (when my great uncles were still alive), the "aunts" as they called them, came over via Canada.
I'm trying to locate "Susie" (I'm not sure who she married) as well as trying to get any information about the family when they were still in Naples.
"DeFalco" is one of the more common surnames in that town, as my research tells me.
Any pointers towards resources would be greatly appreciated (I have an account on Ancestry.com but searching doesn't always turn up results)

Thanks, Amy
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: DeFalco family from Pomigliano d'Arco

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Perhaps this manifest?

Assunta aged 17 and Anna aged 12 arriving January 16, 1901 on the S.S. Columbia, joinging brother Michele De Falco. Last residence: Pietravairano.

If this isn't them, it would help if we had some approximate birth years to narrow down the search.

Lines 21 and 22: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... eFalco.jpg

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This one might be a better match.

Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943 about Rosa Cerrato
Name: Rosa Cerrato
Arrival Date: 4 Apr 1921
Estimated birth year: abt 1883
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Italia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Maria Esposito
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Napoli, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 264

Rosa Cerrato is travelling with her children, Assunta De Falco aged 14, Nicola De Falco aged 7, and Anna De Falco aged 2. They left behind Rosa'a brother-in-law, Antonio De Falco, in Naples and joining her mother Maria Esposito in Paterson, NJ.

Lines 9 - 12, manifest page 1: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... opage1.jpg

Page 2: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... opage2.jpg

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
nite-owl

Post by nite-owl »

Thank you so much for taking time to search for me. There is an odd coincidence about these names. I think they could very well be cousins.

Antoinette (Antonetta) was born around 1897. The family I found living in Ozone Park (Queens) in 1930 seems about right, as some of the names match up with what I know (she had a son named Mauro - same name as her brother, and a daughter named Gaetana who went by "Ida").

Mauro, Antonetta, and Assunta's parents were Vincenzo DeFalco and Maria Testa, at least that is what is written on the military registration document filed with Comune di Pomigliano d'Arco.

I do think that Antonetta DeFalco and Pasquale Esposito may have been married in Naples prior to coming to the states but I'm not sure.

You've definitely pointed at something very interesting here - perhaps another name I can look into. I will also keep digging around on Ancestry and see what direction it points me.

My dad has said that NY was where they would send my grandfather when he got into "trouble" in Chicago. I've met a couple of the NY relatives over the years - it would be cool to see if I could track some of them down while I'm still living on the east coast.

Thanks again!