Siena Contrade Flags

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Siena Contrade Flags

Post by fishacura »

OK...kind of off topic but maybe not.

My family is actually from Sothern Italy (both sides from a variety of communes in Cosenza, Calabria). However, on our honeymoon, my wife and I honeymooned primarily in Tuscany and fell in love with Siena....so much so that is the name of our first daughter.

At any rate, I have been trying to locate anywhere online where I could purchase all the contrade flags (either small flags, scarves, even postcards....) I thought it would make a great decoration for my daughter's room.

I have had NO luck over the years. Now that I started up my genealogy research again I thought I'd at least toss the question out here...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Siena Contrade Flags

Post by PeterTimber »

~Peter~
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

PeterTimber wrote:www.66.com/europe/italy/tuscany/siena/thepalio for flags and emblem.=Peter=

When I try to link to this I get a broken link message...this is exactly what I have faced for years....can NEVER find them :(
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go for the lungs!! www.tuttitalia.it/toscana/88-siena =Peter=
~Peter~
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

PeterTimber wrote:Go for the lungs!! www.tuttitalia.it/toscana/88-siena =Peter=
Not sure I understand your post...sorry if I am bring dense :oops:

but I don't see anything on this site that links me to a store to purchase contrade flags/coats of arms
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

write to the the MUNICIPIO address and ask the Mayors office where to buy flags?? =Peter=
~Peter~
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

PeterTimber wrote:write to the the MUNICIPIO address and ask the Mayors office where to buy flags?? =Peter=
I'll keep that in my back pocket but have to beileve someone sells them online.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

try google.com...research the subject. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

fishacura wrote:At any rate, I have been trying to locate anywhere online where I could purchase all the contrade flags (either small flags, scarves, even postcards....) I thought it would make a great decoration for my daughter's room.

I have had NO luck over the years. Now that I started up my genealogy research again I thought I'd at least toss the question out here...
Wow! This has proven to be surprisingly difficult!

I offer only two suggestions:

1) This page ( http://www.aboutsiena.com/Palio-races-o ... Siena.html ) has links to the official websites of each of the 17 contrade of Siena. Choose one or two and send an email asking where you can purchase flags ("bandiere").

2) Visit this site ( http://www.flagsonline.it/index.html ) which seems to have just about every flag imaginable and ask why they don't have the contrade flags.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

Thanks Johnny! Unfortunately, Peter seems to enjoy the obvious. Had I been dumb enough not to do a google search before posting I would expect you to let me have it. Fortunately, I have a brain in my head lol! Not sure why he continues to post when he's not really answering my question.

I have actually tried those two sites. flagsonline doesn't carry them, not sure why, and the individual contrade may be an option of last resort. I found one store that has one in Siena that may or may not ship. AMAZING how difficult it is huh (thus the reason for my post)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am not a mind reader nor did you care to advise us as to what steps you had taken before you made your inquiry gave us scant knoweldge as to how to direct you appropriately. Many people who make inquiries here are not luminaries and its hard to distinguish one from the other. However I am sure you will find the flags you seek one day and then we can all go to the beach. =Peter=
~Peter~
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

Yes I was not trying to be disrespectful. I suppose I am tired of other sites where people have so many "noobs" that they get cold and cynical and bring up things like google searches. But yes, when I said I have been looking what I really meant was just that...searching the internet endlessely. Alas, nothing! However, I hope your optimism comes to fruition and I will find them someday :)
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

Get in touch with Cristina Fassio, an Italian-American living in Siena whose contrada, Selva, won the Palio on July 2nd. I'm sure she will direct you to a source where you can buy the flags/banners. You can reach her via her website http://www.expatsinitaly.com/ or through her email: cristina(at)expatsinitaly(dot)com

Also, if you are in Facebook, there is a page for the fans of the Palio and you could pose your question there. The name of the FB page is Appassionati del Palio di Siena. I would however contact Cristina first. I'm 100% sure she will help you find the flags.

Good luck!

-Maria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

when are we leaving for the Hamptons? =Peter=
~Peter~
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

Thanks Xaymara. I'll get right on it. Appreciate the idea!!!

Maybe I should just plan on a vacation to Siena and get them myself :lol: