Italian 'John Doe'

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joedes

Italian 'John Doe'

Post by joedes »

Does anyone know the Italian version of "John/Jane Doe". I have a relation in my family tree that has the conome 'Stechetti' which I was told means "the little stick or off-shoot" and is the same as 'John Doe' or real name is not known. Perhaps orphan or illegitamate.

I'm hoping that it is just the pheonetical version of something else, but I cannot find that surname at all.

She may have been from Rome as my Grt. Grandfather had to go there to get whatever documentation was needed before getting married (in Toscano 1880).

Has anyone ever heard of the use of this title as a surname on official documents :roll: ?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian 'John Doe'

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It's amazing what you can find on the web these days...

This site ( http://www.ideamarketers.com/?articleid ... N=20122500 ) says:
3. Italian: The Italian equivalent of John Doe is Mario Rossi. It is the most common name, so it is often used to indicate an average person.

To refer to unknown people, we use Tizio, Caio and Sempronio. Tizio is always the first one, and you use the other two (in that order) if you need more than one. A bit like Fulano/Mengano/Sultano in Spanish, I guess. Some use Filano (obviously related to the Spanish Fulano) together with the other three.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
i never heard that surname. In italy the equivalent of Jon Doe is "Ignoto" or NN (ancient latin nomen nescio). In ancient Roman Rights the equivalent used was Aulo Agerio e Numerio Negidio.

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
carole37

Post by carole37 »

I was told by a priest in Italy that the Italian "John Doe" is the last name Fortuna---he said this name was given to many babies left on the church doorsteps. He said in hopes that the child would have better fortune.