Should any money be send to Italy when requesting records?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Should any money be send to Italy when requesting records?

Post by ajcris13 »

Hi,

I am beginning to send requests to the different cities of Italy for marriage and birth records. While doing research on this topic I have found a great variation in the amount of money that should be sent with this request. The instruction vary from none (it is free) to a few euros to cover postage to as much as 17 euros (recommended by one web site). I would like to get your experience and thoughts on this matter. Further, if money is sent what are the best monetary form?

Thanks

Artie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Should any money be send to Italy when requesting record

Post by johnnyonthespot »

When writing to a church, it is customary to include some amount as a "contribution to the parish discretionary fund" or some such. Let your conscience be your guide.

When writing to state archives (Archivio di Stato di [province name]), do not include payment. The archives will contact you to let you know which records have been found (if any) and quote you a per-page photocopy fee plus postage. Typically, they mail the documents to you and hope that you will make payment by return mail.

For comuni, it is best not to include payment of any kind. A large, self-addressed envelope is often appreciated, and you can include several "International Reply Coupons" ( http://greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10178 ) if - no, BIG IF, you can actually find them.

As for how to send money, please do not send US cash or checks/money orders in US funds. Checks/money orders will cost more to cash than the likely face value and dollars will have to be converted into Euros after payment of a fee. For small amounts, it is just not worth the trouble.

So, that leaves international money orders written in Euro funds (still a pain for most people to have to deal with), or cash in Euros. If you do choose to send Euro notes, it is often advised that you wrap them tightly in aluminum foil; even so, there is a chance that the money will be stolen and the letter will never make it to its destination.

Whenever I travel in the EU, I make it a point to bring back 20 - 40 euros in notes and coins so that I will have them for just such occasions. In most US cities, you can go to a larger bank branch and buy euros in small amounts; in many cases you will have to call ahead and arrange to pick up euros after a few days wait.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
pennylick

Post by pennylick »

I sent a request to COMUNE DI MEZZANEGO in January. still waiting! I was advised not send any payments but to ask to be billed. Not holding my breath.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Based on my own experience and that of many of our members, some comuni simply don't respond to requests at all or do so only after many, many, months.

I have no solution, other than to have someone in Italy go to the comune and request the documents in person.

Something to consider: if your comune is a smaller one (under 5,000 persons, for example), there is a reasonable likelyhood that anyone listed in the Italian telephone directory with the same surname as yours is related to you. Take some time to write letters and try to establish a relationship with one of these "relatives" and then ask him/her to help you out with your document research. :)

See http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

I sent a request for records to Commune di Sinopoli, Reggio Calabria, with a large return envelope and 20 euros. I was lucky enough to recieve the extracts within about 4 weeks. I suppose I thought it would pay for postage and any left over would be a donation.
Good luck
Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

I sent a request for records to Commune di Sinopoli, Reggio Calabria, with a large return envelope and 20 euros. I was lucky enough to recieve the extracts within about 4 weeks. I suppose I thought it would pay for postage and any left over would be a donation.
Good luck
Josie
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

Good luck
Josie
ajcris13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ajcris13 »

Thank you Carmine and Jo123 for your imput.

Artie