U.S. names versus Italian Names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

U.S. names versus Italian Names

Post by fishacura »

My great great grandfater was named Ercole, but when he got to this country he started calling himself Frank. That name is everywhere but his death cert which has his proper name. His wife's name in the U.S. was Maria but I may have found that her true name was Candida in the old country.

My question is, was this fairly common because it sure makes research difficult :lol:
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: U.S. names versus Italian Names

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Certainly there are tons of

Giuseppe -> Joseph
Vincenzo -> Vincent (also James/Jimmy; go figure)
Luigi -> Louis
Filippo -> Philip
Piero -> Perry
Maria -> Mary
Francesca -> Francis
Francesco -> Frank

and so on.

And then there are the odd ones; either because there is no obvious anglicization or because they are just plain odd:

Ercole -> anything
Pellegrino -> anything

In the case of Candida -> Maria, well, about all we can say is, it's possible...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I believe it was common for the immigrants to change their Italian names to American ones to "fit in," so to speak. It was part of their process of becoming Americanized. Also, if an immigrant was young and attended school in the U.S., it was common for teachers to call them by names other than their Italian names, sometimes just because of the difficulty in pronouncing them. This was particularly true of surnames, but also occured with first names. There were also a lot of stigmas in the American society attached to Italian immigrants-especially the ones from southern Italy and Sicily. So to avoid derogatory name-calling and the like, a lot of Italian immigrants did whatever they could to viewed as American rather than as Italian and this included using American rather than Italian first names.

As to Candida, it may be possible that her name in Italy was either Maria Candida or Candida Maria. It was very common for both males and females to have Maria as part of their names, either as a first name or middle name. If you search through Italian records for a particular town, you often find that the Maria was dropped in later records.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

For what it is worth, all of the Ercole's in my family tree kept the integrity of the name. There is no evidence they ever attempted to Americanize the name. The name Frank probably opened more doors for your ggrandfather. Opportunities did not abound back then for people with Italian sounding names.
Just a thought.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Candida in Italian means 'White' and Ercole means 'Hercules'!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg :)

Your message was much more concise than mine.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

We were thinking along the same lines, Jim.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The Italian immigrants did face a great deal of discrimination, particularly from other groups already here.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

One other thought. My Ercole's were stone masons. They owned a construction company (built a good part of the town they settled in). They probably did not face the discrimination typical in the large cities. They probably did the work no one else could do.

Jim
Jim

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

There is quite a few Candida surnames found i Italy.
Mainly in Lazio (rome), Campania (naples) and Puglia (between taranto and brindisi) Regions.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
fishacura
Rookie
Rookie

Post by fishacura »

Thanks all. I am chomping at the bit here....I ordered birth records to my local FHC for late 1800s Pedace, Rogliano, Marzi, Piane Crati and Donnici and hopefully they're here next week...cannot wait to get re-started!!!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I rememer from my childhood someone called "Herk" or" Herc". Probably Ercole. And let's not forget Hercule Poirot. :wink:
adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adifresco »

johnnyonthespot wrote: Vincenzo -> Vincent (also James/Jimmy; go figure)
Wow, I had no idea this was common! My g-g-grandfather was named Vincenzo but went by James or Jimmy most of his life. I always thought it was unique to my family and wondered why he chose that name. Do you know why this is?

A few more...
my g-g-grandmother was originally named Fiorentina, but went by Florence. My great-grandmother was named Sabina but went by Sally.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Wow, I had no idea this was common! My g-g-grandfather was named Vincenzo but went by James or Jimmy most of his life. I always thought it was unique to my family and wondered why he chose that name. Do you know why this is?
In Italy, it's not uncommon to use the nickname "Cenz" for Vincenzo. In dialect (at least Southern Italian dialects), Cenz is pronounced as Genz. To the American ear Genz sounded somewhat like James, hence Vincenzo became James.
John Armellino
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

JohnArmellino wrote:In Italy, it's not uncommon to use the nickname "Cenz" for Vincenzo. In dialect (at least Southern Italian dialects), Cenz is pronounced as Genz. To the American ear Genz sounded somewhat like James, hence Vincenzo became James.
Great explanation, John!

Just goes to show, there is a reason for everything. :D
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)