A Good History Book of Italy

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Nigliomerr

A Good History Book of Italy

Post by Nigliomerr »

Greetings.

Can anyone offer suggestions for a book containing a good, comprehensive history of Italy?

Many thanks and kind regards,
Maria
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: A Good History Book of Italy

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Maria,

I have A History of the Italian People by Giuliano Procacci, which I can recommend.
It gives you a good understanding of Italian history throughout the ages.

I live in the UK, but I am sure it's available from Amazon if you are in the USA.

Seraphina
Nigliomerr

Post by Nigliomerr »

Greetings Seraphina,

A million thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate it a great deal. My sincerest appreciation for your time and assistance.

With kind regards,
Maria
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

A concise book on the History of Italy would meet your criteria for comprehension of Italian History. This book is at:

www.bearcave.com/bookrev/It.htm but not avilable on line.

The book is titled A CONCISE HISTORY OF ITALY by CHRISTOPHER DUGGAN (1994) 294 PAGES Cambridge University Press ($US 12.95)

You can pick up the above description of the book thru Google.com under HISTORY OF ITALY BOOKS and you can judge for yourself if this book will meet your needs ( I think it will). You will find it on the first page midway down. =Peter=
~Peter~
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

A book I've enjoyed is ITALY: A SHORT HISTORY by HARRY HEARDER. It covers the boot from pre-historic times to 2001. A lot of books on Italy will start after the collapse of the Roman Empire in circa 500, so it can be challenging to find one that covers her entire history. Buona Fortuna.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany