Question regarding discrepancies in documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
colonello

Question regarding discrepancies in documents

Post by colonello »

Hi! We are new to the group and going through the process of applying for dual citizenship to Italy by descent. We will be going to the Italian Consulate in Los Angeles. We have documented the whole family history, but of course the names don't match exactly: great-grandfather's first and last name was Americanized on the US death certificate; grandfather's first name and last name are spelled differently on birth certificate than on marriage and death certificates; grandfather's birthdate slightly incorrect on marriage certificate. Great grandfather's birthday is off by one year on WWI US draft registration card (used to prove he was still an Italian citizen at that time). Below is the information from the LA Consulate website regarding discrepancies in documents. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience about what types of discrepancies need to be corrected? Thanks so much! Great and helpful site!

DISCREPANCIES:
Check all documents word by word to make sure that there are no discrepancies or changes in the names, last names, dates and places of birth. If there are discrepancies In first and last names, please contact this Office before presenting your application. If there are major discrepancies in dates and ages, you must have certificates amended. All variations or errors must be corrected with an official "affidavit to amend a record" to be requested from the Vital Statistics Office that issued the document or with another appropriate official document. Please have a list of all the discrepancies that you found in the documents. This is required for the Citizenship Office to expedite your request.
smasters

Re: Question regarding discrepancies in documents

Post by smasters »

I am going through the same process and there are minor discrepancies in the spelling of my grandfather's last name. I can't say that I have direct experience other than I know I should be prepared for the worst; so that would imply that you must follow their instructions to the 'T'. They say: If there are discrepancies In first and last names, please contact this Office before presenting your application. If there are major discrepancies in dates and ages, you must have certificates amended. So do that with your discrepancies. I am going to call them regarding the minor discrepancies in my grandfather's surname before I waste my time by going to an official appointment (I live in AZ and must go through the LA consulate). Based on what they say, then I will either get the certificate's amended or not. If amendments are required, I don't know how difficult it would be, except that I have found most court clerks and the NARA to be very helpful. Hope this helps!
colonello

Post by colonello »

Thanks smasters! We were planning to email the consulate and ask them, but wanted to see if anyone here had any experience or ideas first. We will let you know what they tell us (and hopefully you will do the same). We appreciate you taking the time to answer. Best of luck!
smasters

Post by smasters »

I am waiting for the certified copy of GF's naturalization papers, which should be here in a few days. Then I will go over the documents to analyze the discrepancies that I think are there based on my conversations with NARA. Please do let me know if the LA Consulate responds to your email, or if you have to follow through with a phone call. I'll do the same. Good luck!
smasters

Post by smasters »

Hi...Since we are both applying thru the LA Consulate do you know if they require a Certificate of Naturalization (certified copy from USCIS, which can take months, and may not be even legible when you get it!) or will a certified copy of Final Petition for Naturalization suffice (from NARA, which I will have in 2 days)? Which are you using?
colonello

Post by colonello »

Hi...Since my husband's great-grandfather was never naturalized we don't have that situation. From the website it sounds like they will take alternative documentation and don't require the actual Certificate of Naturalization (Category #1, D-a). But that might be a good question to ask them (when you call).

We went ahead and made an appointment this week and the first available slot was the first week in October. We will email the Consulate our questions this weekend. Will let you know...