Marriage License/Application?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
italianstall10n

Marriage License/Application?

Post by italianstall10n »

For the requirements of the Chicago consulate, it reads:

"If the marriage’s certificates lacks information such as dates and places of birth, you must also obtain a certified copy of the marriage application/licenses."

That's kind of ironic, because cook county marriage certificates do not have this information.

Has anyone had any experience in getting a copy of a marriage license for grandparents or great grandparents? Do you think this is really necessary?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Marriage License/Application?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Honestly, I don't know why the consulate makes a fuss over marriage certificates; there is no requirement in Italian citizenship law that a child be the product of a legal marriage, only that he/she has an Italian bloodline.

Also, we have seen reports recently that at least one state (was it Arizona?) has destroyed its marriage license application records because they are no longer needed for state purposes.

I understand why the consulate wants your marriage information (if you, the applicant, are married) because this information will become part of the record created for you in your ancestral comune - assuming your application is granted.

The only explanation I have for the other records is that the ancestral comuni are expected to bring the entire family lineage up-to-date by entering missing birth/marriage/death records for the applicant's ancestors. However this is contrary to what I have read or been told in the past.

If worst comes to worst, I suspect that you will be able to get away with, "I am sorry, but I was not able to locate my great-grandparents' long-form marriage certificate."
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lindabeyerle

Post by lindabeyerle »

Hi there! I'm new and not even sure I'm sending this message to anyone. Just starting out the family tree. Last person who would've been helpful passed a way.

Any suggestions on the best way to start?

Linda
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

lindabeyerle wrote:Hi there! I'm new and not even sure I'm sending this message to anyone. Just starting out the family tree. Last person who would've been helpful passed a way.

Any suggestions on the best way to start?

Linda
Hi, Linda.

Welcome!

A good way to begin would be to click the "Community Forums" link at the top of the page just below the logo, then click the "Italian Genealogy" board. Next, click the "New Topic" button, enter a Subject and your message.

Give us some background on what you already know about your ancestry and also what you hope to find out or learn about.

We'll see what we can do to help. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)