Miami Consulate appt last week, long post

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Miami Consulate appt last week, long post

Post by JMFL »

I had my appointment in Miami. Here are some details that may help those of you applying there.

The consulate in Miami doesn't have an Italian flag out front and it looks like another uptown building next to retail shops. It is easy to find. When you enter the lobby you just take the elevator up to the consualte floor. It's a modern looking building.

1) When you enter the consulate suite there is a bank teller type window that is clearly marked as CITIZENSHIP. There is also a row of about 4 or 5 windows along side the citizenship window. I got there about a half hour early and stood in front of the citizenship window. There was a man in front of me and no one behind the window. The man said she would be back soon as she was checking on something for him. I should not have stood here.

I should have gone to one of the 4 or 5 staffed service windows and told them I was there for my appt, than sat down and waited for my name to be called. I didn't do that until about 10:15, so it appeared that I was late for the appt. The woman who was helping the man was not the citizenship person, she just happened to talk to him at that window.

Still, the woman was very friendly and pleasant to meet with. My mom was with me for the appt. There were usually 50 people in the suite at any given time and the staff all seemed friendly and helpful.

2)SAVE THE FOREST. She din't want any photocopies, and I had made plenty of each document. I would suggest that you make one extra copy just in case and I willl explain in a bit. Also, don't bother to download the 4 forms that are on the Miami web site. They don't use them. From what I can gather, they copied the same format as the other consulates web site but they don't follow all the details they say on the webpage.

3)GOOD NEWS, only documents in the direct line are needed. For us that meant my grandfather, my mom, then me. I had all documents for my grandmother, my dad and my husband. They are not looked at at all.

4) MORE GOOD NEWS, if there are minor discrepancies in the FIRST names of your direct line, it's not a problem. If the name change is something like Maria to Mary and Marie that is ok. My mom's first name was different on each of her documents but close enough that it was ok.

5) AND THE GOOD TIMES COME TO A HALT, my mom's oldest sister changed the spelling of the family name by one letter. She made a ch into a ck so people would pronounce it correctly. When my mom got married she used the k spelling on her certificate. When I was in NYC two weeks ago, I had her marriage certificate corrected. My birth certificate has her maiden name with the k also. I didn't have time to correct this.

I was born on Long Island,NY, so I have to go through New York STATE instead of the city for the ammendment. Miami will not accept ANY discrepancies in the last name.

My mother was with me, the person whose name is spelled wrong. Prior to the appointment I had my mom sign an affadivit, I had that apostilled and Miami still said no. I went on to explain that the change was made to keep the Italian pronunciation. She understood but firmly stated that the only way they can accept any discrepancy is with a court order. She would not take my birth certificate. She did ask for a photocopy of it though, so she could put it in her file as a reminder of what is missing from the documents. I wasn't too upset about this because I had my mom's corrected marriage certificate so I felt that while it would take time and more money, New York State would be able to amend my birth certificate.
(I suggest that if you do have errors, make a copy of that document to submit if you run out of time to correct it before your appt.).

Once I get my birth certificate fixed, she said to mail the amended certificate back to her and she will continue processing our applications at that time. She didn't give each document a thorough review, more of a glance to make sure names and dates were in line. The citizenship department will review the documents in more detail and notify us if there is a problem. I didn't have any records of my grandparents marriage certificate in Italy, but I did have three different letters from the comune telling me in on form or another that the records couldn't be found and that they were probably lost with the damage from the war. At first she wasn't going to accept the letters but she went back to check with someone else and came back and said ok, they will allow them.

6)ORDER OF DOCUMENTS, she wanted the documents in chronological date order starting with my grandfather's birth record and moving forward from there. Again, just the documents in the family line and no copies.

7)Once she took all our documents, she handed us three forms each, the AIRE, and one to register our birth and marriage information. Two of the forms are in both english and italian, the third one is in Italian only but is easy to follow. She will also help you fill it out and double check all of the forms to make sure they are ok. The room was noisy, I was filling out forms for both me and my mom while balancing a book on my lap and I ended up making a few mistakes, such as putting my id number on my mom's forms and putting her address on my forms. I had to cross it out and write over it. She doesn't give out another form to use. My fomrs looked sloppy but she said not to worry about it. It is basic info regarding event/date/location. On one form you will write in english that you declare that you have never renounced Italian citizenship.

We were never asked about where we have lived since we were 18. We didn't need copies of ID. A driver's lic or passport is fine as long as it lists a current address.

8)They are about six months to one year out on setting appointments for citizenship. They hope to get that down to a shorter wait period and are working hard to do so. They also have a ton of appointments and are very busy. There was a man behind me who was there for his 11:00 appt.

9) The processing time can be under one year once all the documents have been submitted and the application has been processed. They will notify you by email or regular mail about your application and they will send you a letter asking you to come in for your passport once you are able to qualify for it.

10) She also said that they may request additional papers, and if so, the consulate will notify me. I was thrown off by that somewhat, but she just repeated it again when I asked what types of papers. I have no idea what that may mean, but I'm hoping it won't amount to anything.

I'll start the process of amending a New York State document tomorrow. I hope this is helpful to those of you going through Miami. I'll let you know what happens with my application process.

JM
federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Miami Consulate appt last week, long post

Post by federici1999 »

Thanks for sharing your experiance. I have an appointment with Miami in Feb 09. I found it very intresting they only wanted the immediate line of family. I have spent so long retrieving all the family documents and must have used a whole tree with all the copies. Keep us informed on how things go for you.
Thanks Bob

Looking for Federici and Cavalli from Bedonia
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

If you don't mind I do have a quick question for you. Especially in relation to name spelling changes. My gg-grandfather last Davide - g-grandfather born in NYC, grandfather, father and myself same NYC - Am I correct in assuming that even if the name is spelled incorrectly on certain things throughout their lives that only the birth/marriage/death certs have to be correct?

Problem: and i can't really figure this out for the live of me... My g-grandfather Joseph Davide maytimes on census and things it is listed as David leaving off the e - my father born Joseph Davide I am born Jeannie Davide...

notice my grandfather missing his birth certificate reads: Jiovanni Daivado listed my great grandparents as Juiseppe Daivado & Maria Daivado - this was corrected on his baptism certificate 22 days later where he is listed as John Davide and has been through his entire life... marriage/death etc -

What would you suggest? Do you think I will be able to get my grandfather's birth certificate corrected? It is such an outlandish spelling if I remember correctly I don't even believe that teh "j" appears in teh Italian alphabet...
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

Hi Jeannie,
Am I correct in assuming that even if the name is spelled incorrectly on certain things throughout their lives that only the birth/marriage/death certs have to be correct?
Yes, plus the Naturalizaton Papers from the Italian Relative and also the Letter of Italian Citizenship from the Commune of the Italian Relative.
What would you suggest? Do you think I will be able to get my grandfather's birth certificate corrected? It is such an outlandish spelling if I remember correctly I don't even believe that teh "j" appears in teh Italian alphabet...
While it's true there isn't a J in the Italian alphabet, that isnt' a valid excuse for the Italian consulate, see my post whereone of my documents had a ch changed unofficially to a ck to keep the Italian pronounciation even though there is no K in the Italian alphabet. It was not acceptable to the Miami Consulate.

If you have time before your appt in Miami, I would make every effort to try and change the birth certificate. My reason for that is we know that Miami will take an amended birth certificate, we don't know if they will accept a baptismal certificate in lieu of an incorrect birth certificate. You want to go on that appointment knowing your documents are all good and then your application will fly through. Contact NYC and see what they can do for you.

Here is a link for how to amend a NYC birth certificate:
Web Page Name

If that doesn't work, try this, it's the same link but entered into this post differently:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/vr/vr.shtml

You will see a link on the right hand side for amending a NYC birth certificate. It will take you to a PDF form that you download.

NOTE:On the form it specifically states that if the person, your gf, is over 18, then he must do it. I would call the office and explain that your gf is no longer living. (I'm assuming that he is deceased, if he is still alive, then you can fill out the papers for him and have him sign them in front of a notary). If he is deceased, tell NYC office you have certified copies of your gf baptism record and his death record with the corrected spelling of his name, you also have his parents birth and marriage records, again with the correct spelling of the last name. They will advise you on how to change it. Since you have all the records and you are in the direct line of desent, they should be able to allow the change. They may not, but it is worth a try.

Let us know what they say and then we can suggest options from there. I had to amend certificates in both NYC and also in NY State. Both had specific rules but once I got a supervisor on the phone, they were willing to work with me. I did have a hard time with the death certificate though. They would not even consider anything other than what the forms state.

Hopefully, you will get someone nice and knowledgable at the NYC office who will advise you on what to send to amend the birth certificate.

Just my two cents worth,
JMFL
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

JMFL,

Do you remember who you spoke to in NYC about amending a birth certificate?

I've hit a wall in attempting to correct my GGF NYC birth cert. (1900)

I've spoken to the director at municiple archives and says its absolutely impossible to correct vital records this old in NYC.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Has anybody successfully amended a deceased person's record in NYC? It looks like I will have to do this for several key documents in my dad's direct line (my GGGF's death cert, my GGF's birth and marriage certs - and if I want to be superprepared for the consulate - my GGGM's death cert), since our last name is Sforza, and nobody - not then, not now - can get it right. Sigh.
I also note that the dep't of vital records only corrects birth and death certs; marriages are not mentioned on their site. Any idea how to get 100+yr-old marriage certs amended?
And I'm talking serious corrections - whoppers like Sposito for Sforza and Mangione for Manganaro (and to compound the difficulty, unfortunately, both those errors happen to be real Italian surnames).
Tonio70
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tonio70 »

Thanks for your posting at the Miami Consulate, I have an appointment at the end of this month. I have all documents from GGF, GF,M and myself, I do not have a marriage certificate for my parents since they were not married, but my mother carried my fathers name till her death,(ughhhh). I am guessing in the early 70's my mom believed common law marriage was popular and less time consuming :). Her death record does have her maiden name as well as my fathers last name. I legally changed my name and have my mother's maiden name, have all legal documents supporting this matter and I also have BC and DC of my father to prove he was my father.

Would the issue of not having a marriage certificate that does not exist pose a problem?