Tucciarone surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sue1anne
Rookie
Rookie

Tucciarone surname

Post by sue1anne »

I'm just getting started but running into a lot of roadblocks just in US records. I'm also at a disadvantage that I don't know some names due to lack of info from relatives.

My grandfather is alive and living in Oregon, but doesn't remember much about family since his father died when he was 5 years old, around 1926. I can't seem to locate his father's grave, obituary or Social Security Death Index information. (My grandfather was born in Rochester, PA.)

My great-grandfather was Joseph Tucciarone who I found living in Rochester, Pennsylvania (near Pittsburgh) in the 1920 and 1930 censuses.

I don't know Joseph's father's name, but I believe it may have also been Joseph (Guiseppe). Joseph's mother is listed as Lena (wife of Guiseppe), which I believe to be Pasqualina, as my grandfather's sister was named this, and later changed her name to Anne.

I can't seem to locate any of my direct Tucciarone ancestors in Ellis Island records, but there are many misspellings.

Christina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

To do good research start at the end and work bnackwards. You have to know who came here from Italy and find them either in ellis island rrecords or thru NARA (USA archives). I can't help you until you get basic information like the correct spelling of a name. Go thru records, old letters, passports, citizneship papers ...anything and everything that will give you the correct spelling and information about their arrival in the USA. Peter
sue1anne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sue1anne »

I'm going to see my grandparents next weekend, so I'll see what other information I can find.

PS. I was adopted and just found my family in April. I'm at a disadvantage that I didn't get to grow up hearing any information about our family and the immigration. I'm really interested and my grandfather is quickly forgetting, so I'm interviewing him this weekend.

Christina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Good for you!. Get the name of the town at all costs and if not then the name of the church he was baptized,married or went to so that we can get the town. In Italy every histoyr and record of the family is in the Town.....without the town you are lost. Peter
sue1anne
Rookie
Rookie

Interview with Grandpa Tucciarone

Post by sue1anne »

Good news and bad news.

Bad news is my grandfather doesn't remember hardly anything. He was only 5 years old when his father died and he didn't see any family members other than locally. None of them discussed family relations. Our meeting was interupted by relatives visiting and an unplanned party, so we didn't get to have a quiet one-on-one as we planned. I did manage to get a few clues, however.

1) My paternal great-grandfather's name was Joseph David Tucciarone. He died the day before my grandfather's brother was born. He was also named Joseph David, so I have a date of death. I believe he may be buried in Rochester, Beaver County, PA in St Anthony's Church cemetery. (Writing to them today.) This is where my grandfather was raised by his mother.

2) My grandfather believe's his grandfather, my great-great-grandfather, was named David Tucciarone. I suspected this might be the case with Italian naming practices. I had searched for David Tucciarone in Ellis Island records. I found one from Minturno, Italy who was a barber. He went to Rochester, PA!! So I believe my relatives were from Minturno. I haven't found Pasqualena's record of immigration yet, but I understand a lot of women went by their maiden names. Is that correct?

3) I am also researching my grandfather's maternal relatives, the Ricci family. His grandfather was Francisco Riccio from Mastrati. I found this in Ellis Island records and was able to locate his ship manifest record. I think I've found his wife Rosa Roman Ricci and their son Louis (Luigi). She died young in the US.

Where do I go from here? No one else has information or documents. My grandfather's sister got them and they've since been lost. I don't mind digging, but I need some pointers.

Thanks!
Christina
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Good for you! Italian wmone never lose their identity and only the children take on their fathers surname. I mean NEVER. It is not a choice so all records are in her maiden name. if you wish documents go to www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/index.asp for italian language form letters and send requests to Ufficio di Stato Civile inthe town of origin. Include a self addrsssed envelope and $5.00 in ppstal coupons or cash if you want to take a chance. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Tucciarone surname

Post by ptimber »

The microfilm of the civil records for Castelforte(latina) go back to 1809 and end at 1911. If you go to the family history library off the Mormion church and rent out the microfilm you can trace your family by birth,marriage and death. Iam assuming you have not used the microfilm resource yet. Peter
aranisles

Post by aranisles »

My husband and his family were recently talking about where their family may have come from in Italy. I decided to check the internet for him and came upon your message. His family settled in Rochester, PA and New Brighton, PA (just down the road from each other) and their name was shortened to Tooch. His fathers name was Ralph and his grandfather was Anthony. My husband said they came to America through Philadelphia so you might try checking the records there. We know very little about his family in Italy, so if you can give us any information, we'd be very grateful to you. If you check the name Tooch in the records for Beaver County, PA, you'll find a whole lot of us!

Linda Tooch
My husband's family is from Rochester, PA. You might try looking for the last name Tooch since it was shortened to this when his family came to the USA. We are not aware of a Joseph Tucciarone, but his grandfather's name was Anthony. We also have
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

All records in Italyare inthe town or village of origin. For Philadelphia arrivals go to nearest family history library of the Mormon church and look under microfilm reel for passenger lists 1883 to 1945. The library can assist you with the approriate reel number. Peter
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

sue1anne wrote:My great-grandfather was Joseph Tucciarone who I found living in Rochester, Pennsylvania (near Pittsburgh) in the 1920 and 1930 censuses.

I don't know Joseph's father's name, but I believe it may have also been Joseph (Guiseppe). Joseph's mother is listed as Lena (wife of Guiseppe), which I believe to be Pasqualina, as my grandfather's sister was named this, and later changed her name to Anne.

Christina
Dear Christina,

In order to obtain a Death Certificate from Pennsylvania (this pertains to any date after 1906), you must write to:

Division of Vital Records
101 S. Mercer Street, Room 401
PO Box 1528
New Castle, PA 16101

It costs $9.00 (check or money order) and you must include a copy of your driver license as well as a self-addressed-stamped-envelop.

The links are below.

Obtaining Death Certificates from Pennsylvania
http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/healt ... 8&q=202338

Pennsylvania Death Certificate Form (PDF File)
http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/healt ... y_Mail.pdf

Also, you can write or call St. Anthony's Cemetery. Since you already have a date of death you can ask for the Section, Range, and Lot location of the grave as well as ask if there is any one else buried in the plot.

I hope this is of some help to you. Also, just to let you know, I too was adopted and know how important it is to find your "ROOTS"!

Smile for me! :)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

sue1anne wrote:PS. I was adopted and just found my family in April. I'm at a disadvantage that I didn't get to grow up hearing any information about our family and the immigration. I'm really interested and my grandfather is quickly forgetting, so I'm interviewing him this weekend.

Christina
Congratulations on finding your natural family. I was adopted as well, and found my birthmother and natural family when I was 20. I was very much into genealogy even at that time, and all of my grandparents were still living at that time. They gave me so many old photos, documents and information. If I had waited until I was older, it would have been a lot more difficult as my birthparents were never interested in their ancestry and all of their parents are sadly gone. Good luck with the interview, ask him everything you can possibly think of! edit(oops sorry that is what I get for not reading every post!..im so sorry it didnt go as well as it might have)

Jim
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

JamesBianco wrote:[Congratulations on finding your natural family. I was adopted as well, and found my birthmother and natural family when I was 20. I was very much into genealogy even at that time, and all of my grandparents were still living at that time. They gave me so many old photos, documents and information. If I had waited until I was older, it would have been a lot more difficult as my birthparents were never interested in their ancestry and all of their parents are sadly gone. Good luck with the interview, ask him everything you can possibly think of! edit(oops sorry that is what I get for not reading every post!..im so sorry it didnt go as well as it might have) Jim
Dear Jim,

I too was adopted. Searching for my natural parents lead me into being a Research Chairperson for an Adoption Group for a several years. It also lead me into becoming a genealogist as well as volunteer at my local Family History Center. I just love the thrill of investigating new avenues. Everyday I learn something new.

Thank you too for trying to defend my post. I got company and didn't finish the whole post for I too wanted to state that the death certificate could have David's parents names on it. It could also have his date of birth on it as well as many other clues.

I also mentioned the cemetery for many people forget to contact the cememtery to see who is all buried there with their ancestor. A good example is my great-grandfather is buried with his son. His name is not on the stone, but yet the Cemetery records had his name and date of death and which grave he was buried. This gave me all extra clues to go on.

Thanks again! Have a great day!

Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

I have removed some of the replies in this topic.
sue1anne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sue1anne »

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to find my great grandfather and great grandmother's names, although I have not been able to find the correct manifest in Ellis Island records.

I was able to get death certificates for my great grandfather, and both of his parents, who also died in Pennsylvania. Joseph Tucciarone (my great grandfather) was born on Mar 13, 1894 in "Italy" - no town name given although I suspect Minturno as I will explain.

Joseph's father was Davide Tucciarone, and his mother was Pasqualina LAVALLE/Lavalla. Davide's death certificate shows his parents are PHILIP Tucciarone and FRANCIS DELANO. Davide's brother Marciano Tucciarone gave information for the death certificate. I have found him listed in censuses as Marion Tucciarone. Davide was born about 1863, and Pasqualina Lavalle was born about 1865.

There is a record of Davide Tucciarone coming to Rochester to visit his cousin, Pietro Conti. Davide's hometown is listed as Minturno, Italy.

I believe Joseph Lavalla living in Rochester a few houses from the Tucciarone's was Pasqualina's brother.

Thanks for any help!
Christina
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

There are civil records available from the LDS church on microfilm for Minturno, Latina, Italy. They are limited though to 1811-1865. If the family members you identified are from here you should be able to find them in the records.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Here is a post from Trish that explains how to use these records.
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

Debbie