Better to Call or Write to Italy?...

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ella

Better to Call or Write to Italy?...

Post by ella »

I have the exact dates, names, and places of my grandparents births, marriage. My friend's father has offered to write letters, translate or call for me.

Question is - to Mascali and Piedemonte Etneo (both Sicily), which would be the easier way?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Better to Call or Write to Italy?...

Post by PeterTimber »

Both have their own vital records offices an yhou can send each a form letter in Italian rquesting the ocument(s) you wish free of charge so why not just fill lout the form letters yourself and mail them to the Uffico di Stato Civile in the MUNICIPIO address located in MASCALI and PIEDMONTE ETNEO. form letters at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/64-piedimonte-etneo and
www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/56-mascali

Scroll down to MUNICIPIO for address. =Peter=
~Peter~
ella

Post by ella »

Thank you, Peter :) I was having a conflicting address info, so that's a big help.

That was my first idea, I just was wondering if it was quicker to call or fax. Or if it's rude to have someone call on your behalf.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It would be quicker to call but there is no guarantee they would comply and having someone else to do it for you would depend on how fast he writes and does so correctly and in the final analysis the receiving offices willl repspond at the same speed either way. 4-8 weeks. =PETER=
~Peter~
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I always call and ask if there is a fee or if I need to include ID. Then I ask if I can fax the information. Sometimes yes, sometimes, no - they want an addressed envelope or money. If there is someone who can make the call, why not?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
ella

Post by ella »

That's sort of what I was thinking...I'm happy to pay for the costs, etc, I just would rather avoid delays. Worth a try, I suppose? I would call myself, but my Italian is embarrassing and there would surely be confusion.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You obviously enjoy adventure. =Peter=
~Peter~