Name Change

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
lanyhuis

Name Change

Post by lanyhuis »

I have just learned that my great grandfather had a different name when he left Italy. His birth name was Leoluca La Rizza. I only knew him as Leoluca RIZZO! I have found his birth certificate in Corleone, Sicily. Are there records that I can look into to find him leaving Italy? He says that he arrived in New Orleans but there is no record of that under any name.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Name Change

Post by PeterTimber »

Are you certain his first name is Leoluca or Leo Luca???When did he leave Corleone to come to the USA andwhat was the name of the ship and year of arrival in New Orleans? =Peter=
~Peter~
lnyhuis

Post by lnyhuis »

It could be either way. I'm not sure. He said he arrived in New Orleans in 1899. He was married in Morgan City, LA in 1905 so its clear that he was in the states at that time. I have no idea of the ship. Could never locate him
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

August 12, 1905, S.S. Sicilian Prince arriving New York.

LeoLuca La Risza aged 26 travelling with Teresa Capatilino aged 22, both from Corleone, going to visit his brother, Carmelo La Risza in New York.

Maybe?

Lines 24 and 25 on this manifest

Click for Ancestry . com manifest.

Click for EllisIsland.org manifest.

PS: The name "La Risza" does not exist in the Italian telephone directory; manifest is probably mis-written or mis-transcribed.

PPS: From the notations on this manifest, it appears that this LeoLuca filed a Declaration of Intent (to naturalize) in January, 1938.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
datt

Post by datt »

Im having this issue with an entire family who emmigrated at different times.... A bit more intense than one letter change tho. It has a totaly different italian surname etemology!!! In my case its been brought to my attention the possibility of 2 different birth surnames. One name perhaps from a 1.5 or 2 x granfather and the other from the immediate grandfather. Im looking to get several different birth documents now. The only one i have is the Certificato di Necsita. has anyone else had this experience???