Passanger List

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
stefano136

Passanger List

Post by stefano136 »

I have a copy of the ship’s passenger list that has my grandmother and her father’s arrival from Italy to Boston in 1911 from the NARA in Waltham, MA. I just found a second ship's passenger list on Ancestory.com for 1907 that had my grandmother and her father's names listed but crossed out and the Letter "B" stamped next to each of their names. Does that indicate they were both denied entry and sent back to Italy?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Passanger List

Post by jcsm400 »

Not sure what the letter B" means, but when the name(s) are crossed out, it means that person(s) did not travel on that ship.

is there a column on the 1911 passenger list that asks about being in the US previously?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
datt

Post by datt »

What is the port in Boston? Who keeps the records? the immigration records have not been looked at on my end, tho it is said some of family came thru Boston. These records might also yeild clues to the family name mystery. See the post on top of this one tittled Italian Birth Documents. Can u request the emmigration records from Italy? It might show who was and was not denied entry for the 1907 date. Or a recording inaccuracy. They didnt have any respect for Italian people at the time so their records were not adminstered with dilligence.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If the notation B.S.I.is on the left side before the name means that the passenger(s) were held for a Board of Special Inquiry and the names mayh have been recorded with more information in a list at the end of the manifest. There is no sole letter "B" that has meaning for me and I offered the facts surrounding B.S.I. with the idea that perhaps the Immigrant Inspector took a short cut known to him and his colleagues and you can divine if they were both detained, not admitted ino the USA if or until the Board was convened and made a decision. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

datt wrote:What is the port in Boston? Who keeps the records? the immigration records have not been looked at on my end, tho it is said some of family came thru Boston. These records might also yeild clues to the family name mystery. See the post on top of this one tittled Italian Birth Documents. Can u request the emmigration records from Italy? It might show who was and was not denied entry for the 1907 date. Or a recording inaccuracy. They didnt have any respect for Italian people at the time so their records were not adminstered with dilligence.
Many people think that all Italian immigrants entered the US at Ellis Island but that is simply not the case. Thousands upon thousands entered through the ports of Boston and New Orleans and, to a lesser extent, Philidelphia, San Francisco, and Canadian ports (then crossed into the US on foot or on trains, etc).

The single best site to research passenger manifests for all ports is Ancestry . com.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Stephano,

If you could post the manifest or give us the names and date so one of us could post, we would better be able to help you. As jcsm400 stated above a line through a name means that the passengers did not sail. In some cases some of the info is not filled out. There were many reasons why people didn't sail such as lack of money, illness, death, civil unrest, etc.
Ships' manifests were prepared in Italy, that is why they are usually an accurate source of information.

Ancestry has Boston, Philly and New Orleans records available.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Sorry Carmine, you got there while I was still typing. :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Lines drawn thru manifests not only means did not sail but also means not admitted and deferred for some administative reasons like The BOARD OF SPECIAL INQUIRY or some other jurisdiciton. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Lines drawn thru manifests not only means did not sail but also means not admitted and deferred for some administative reasons like The BOARD OF SPECIAL INQUIRY or some other jurisdiciton. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

~Peter~
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Many ports of entry are not available through Ancestry. Many records have been destroyed over the years (1. Newark, NJ????), but here are some records that may help someone.

http://www.motherhubbardscupboard.net/g ... ssind.html

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... d=manifest

Source: familysearch.org>
"Tuckerton, New Jersey, the second U.S. port of entry"

The is only a pictorial album for Tuckerton, NJ>
FHL US/CAN Fiche 6046497 (2 fiche)

:)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

sorry for the triplication but today my computer is being redundant. =Peter=
~Peter~
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Just wanted to mention that I've been recognized since 2001. While my case has been long finished, I decided to look for my grand-father's ship record anyway.

On his Petition for Naturalization, it states that he departed the Port of Naples on February 28, 1909 on the ship called "Florida" and arrived New York on March 13, 1909. I have checked passenger lists for every ship called "Florida" or any variation of that name and cannot find my grand-father anywhere.

Then it occurred to me that because my grand-father lived in, got married in and was naturalized in Philadelphia that perhaps he, as Carmine mentioned, actually entered at Philadelphia, but I haven't been able to find any record to that effect either. So who made the error here? Was it the local Naturalization Courts, US Immigration, etc.? Who? Why is there no ship record for my grand-father?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

jennabet, what was your grandfather's name?

Was a Certificate of Arrival issued and noted on the Petition for Naturalization?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The S.S. Florida did have an Ellis Island arrival on March 13, 1910. Perhaps the year was written incorrectly?

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/ship_ ... les&page=1
Carmine