Translation Assistance

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
MLAllegro

Translation Assistance

Post by MLAllegro »

Hello, I recently acquired a ton of old family documents and postcards. This one that have posted a link and attachment has caught my eye. I'm having a bit of trouble translating it. I understand a few words here and there but I know that it can change the entire context. I know that it is address to my great-grandfather, Albano, and judging by the date, it is in congratulations of his recent engagement to my great-grandmother. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u338 ... 4_back.jpg
My known surnames: Allegro, Chinnici, Fidemi, DaVia, Fedon; Areas of interest: Raddusa Sicily, Belluno (Domegge di Cadore, Vallesella di Cadore)
Lucap
Master
Master

Re: Translation Assistance

Post by Lucap »

This is a correct version of the letter: can you now understand it?

Carissimo figlio
Ho ricevuto (la tua lettera): tutto bene.
Saluti da me e (da tua)
sorella. Quanto
prima ti scrivo (=scriverò) (meaning a letter and not a post card).
Credimi, tua amorosa (=che ti vuole bene)
madre Rachele Masi

L.
MLAllegro

Re: Translation Assistance

Post by MLAllegro »

Thanks for your help with the translation! I'm sorry for the late reply.

Hmm, it seems that even with this translation that I still have a mystery. I'm still at a loss as to who Albano's mother is. With this letter, it seems that Rachele Masi is his mother and this matching with what my grandmother says. However, I acquired some of his old passports that list his mother's name as Maria Irene Masi. I'm going to have to investigate more.
My known surnames: Allegro, Chinnici, Fidemi, DaVia, Fedon; Areas of interest: Raddusa Sicily, Belluno (Domegge di Cadore, Vallesella di Cadore)