requesting family records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Re: requesting family records

Post by nickintexas »

Okay, I translated your letter into English so I'd have an idea of what I was asking for :lol:

Is the address in the first post what you used for Casalvecchio--that's where i need to go as well--looks like your family parallels mine->from Cas. d Pug. to Mass. (all mine ended up in Milford/Bellingham (sp)?).

I'm looking for GF (nonno) and GM (nonna?) as well as GGF's (?)and GGM's (?) as all appear to come from this commune as well. I know I say a post here somewhere with proper terms but if someone wouldn't mind popping them in, I'd appreciate it greatly!
My past is all behind me now.
Looking for Andreola, Fino, Simone, Rossacci & Capece primarily from Casalvecchio di Puglia.
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

Yes that is the correct address for our family in Italy. Small world huh? What is the family name you are researching? I wonder if we are distant cousins?

Brunetti, D'Aloia, Iacovelli, Palmieri????

Many Italians in Milford came from that little town in italy.
- What cannot be achieved in one lifetime will happen when one lifetime is joined to another.
= Researching Brunetti, D'Aloia, Delfanti, & Milani Family Names. Casalvecchio Di Puglia, & other Arbëreshë communities.
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickintexas »

Yes, we used to say that the town is 1/3 Italian, 1/3 Irish, 1/3 everybody else :lol:
Sadly, I don't visit as often as I should :oops:

My family names are Andreola/Fino/Simone/Rossaci/Capece/Celozzi...that I've discovered so far.

Have you found any family connections into Castelnuovo next door?
Looking for Andreola, Fino, Simone, Rossacci & Capece primarily from Casalvecchio di Puglia.
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickintexas »

I hope to make a trip to CdP ....perhaps as soon as next year. I've got some phone numbers of Andreola's still living there and will start to cold-call in the hopes of finding an english speaker :roll:

I found an Arbereshe/CdP website and sent an e-mail (and actually found a person involved with my GF's name...Michele Andreola!!!) but it looks like the site has been untended for the last couple of years and have received no reply.

This is pretty cool...from doing the 'walk-about' with the google guy...amazingly every street in CdP and Castelnuovo are 'mapped'.
This is at #11 Corso Skanderbeg and the two languages displayed really hammers home the distinct local heritage.

Saw this on a search:
http://www.avato.it/webmix/root/america.htm
52. Ricky Brunette arbatlaw@aol.com Scarborough, Me

Heard of us from: geneology research on italian roots
Villages: Civita
Surnames: Brunetti
Comments: Grandfather was Pietro Brunetti - from Civita. He had a brother who settled in PA.
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickintexas »

Joanna,

Have you looked into alternate spellings.... "Deloia" is common in the Mass. area...there's even a branch on my family tree that married into the Fino side with this spelling who live(d) in the Framingham & Holliston areas.
djm1228
Rookie
Rookie

Post by djm1228 »

Hi - I'm part of the Fino family. Joseph (Giuseppe) came to NY around 1880 after marrying Louisa Nardiello. They had three children. Michael, Rosa, Katherine. Any matches there.

I'm really trying to find out about Joseph because we know nothing of that side of the family.

Thanks, Diane
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickintexas »

Diane, Do you have an idea what part of Italy that your Finos came from?

My Finos were blacksmiths in Casalvecchio Di Puglia. My GGF was Alessio (Alex) Fino
->brothers Matteo & Luigi
->children (my GM) Marie Louise, Joseph, Nicholas & Rose
This Joseph's children->Fioraba, Peter, Alessio, Nick & Mary
djm1228
Rookie
Rookie

Post by djm1228 »

Hi - I'm told they were from Foggia. My dad believed that he was a shephard there. He married in 1880 and came to NYC with his wife, Louisa Nardiello. He got his citizenship in 10/1891. I can't find where they came over but they were married in Italy so they must have come sometime between 1880-1891. I wish we knew more but everyone is dead now who knew. The funny thing is that my dad never remembered hearing anything about the FINO side of the family. It's almost as if there was some kind of rift in the family. Let me know if you know anything. Thanks, Diane
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickintexas »

I guess the next thing to try to figure out is if they were from the town or from the province of Foggia.

Casalvecchio Di Puglia, for instance, is in the province of Foggia and sometimes the immigration records show one or the other (or both :lol: ).
If you could figure out a way to find out the town or 'comune', you can narrow down the search.
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

Nick, Yes Deloia is how a lot of my relatives spelled their last name in USA. Have you been to Italy since you learned all of these things about your family? Please share! :)
- What cannot be achieved in one lifetime will happen when one lifetime is joined to another.
= Researching Brunetti, D'Aloia, Delfanti, & Milani Family Names. Casalvecchio Di Puglia, & other Arbëreshë communities.
nickintexas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nickintexas »

Hiya! Hope all is well for you. I've been AWOL for quite a while also concentrating on other stuff.

Sadly, we haven't been able to swing the trip to Italy .......yet. We have spent quite a lot of time on trips up to Milford & Boston over the last several years tho. Other than the winters, we love that area! I've also had sporadic contact with my 'cousins' in CDP which has been Fantastic!

I've been slowly building the family tree using the wikitree website. Collecting old photos where I can from the last few relatives remaining of the previous generation and adding them to the profiles...here is my godfather, John Deloia, http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Deloia-1 and his family. His wife was the daughter of my grandmother's brother, HA! (she and I are 1st cousins 1 time removed).
KrazyZia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KrazyZia »

Glad to hear it Nick, This seems to be a place I go during the thick of winter! This is a very delayed response! Wishing you all the best.
mothcat21

Re: family knowledge---

Post by mothcat21 »

Hello--My grandparents and great grandparents lived in Milford MA. My great grandfather was Giacinto Andreano and my great grandmother was Elisa Fino--originally from Casalvecchio di Puglia---One or both were of Albanian descent. Just looking for any info.