Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
I assumed the Allegati register di matrimonio would be assembled before the Atti di matrimonio is created. If this is the case, my interpretation of these documents shows the bride's mother with a different given name and a big difference in the bride's age. If I am correct, wouldn't the person making up the Atti di matrimonio refer to the documents in the Allegati for their source of correct information?
I'm sure I am way off base on my assumptions and someone will kindly straighten me out. But, please, verify that my translations are correct and these 2 items are different between documents.
Also, should I presume the birth act is more likely the correct document?
Thank you
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Jim
The estratto of the birth record of the bride was done in April and the marriage took place in May. The clerk who copied from the original birth record the information which appears on the birth estratto could have made an error concerning the first name of the mother, despite the fact that it says that the record conforms which means it is supposed to have the same information as the original document. You know that whenever information is copied from one document to another there is always the possibility of error. The bride, as we can tell from the marriage act itself, was illiterate, so if there was an error on the birth estratto which she presented for her marriage, she would probably not have known it. The officials should have known about the discrepancy, but I can't say why they would not have brought that to the bride's attention. The marriage act was read aloud to all parties present, including the bride who was illiterate. So I would say that the information on the marriage act concerning her mother's first name should be accurate. As to an age discrepancy you see for the bride between the birth estratto and the marriage record, I honestly don't see it. If she was born in 1871, which the estratto seems to state, she would have been 39 or about 39 in 1910 when she married. The marriage record reads she was 38. That seems correct to me since she married in May and her 39th birthday wouldn't have been until Dec of 1910. Are my math calculations off this morning???
So, you believe the given name on the atti di matrimonio is correct? Could her name have changed (accidentally or otherwise) in 38 years? I know this is a rhetorical question.
I do have at least 1 person in my tree who was born with 1 name and died with another. I am sure as I can be that she is the same person.
Your explanation is appreciated.
Thank you
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Jim
I too have death records with the same scenario you describe and am 100% positive that the records are for the same person. In this case, however, I am not sure what to say concerning her first name in her birth record vs her first name in her marriage record. Possibly the name on the marriage record was a middle name she had but which was never officially recorded in the state civil records, like a Confirmation name, for example, or it may have just been a name that people in her family or in the town called her but which was not officially recorded. The reason I am even thinking of this possibility is that, when I did research for a cousin years ago, he had a male ancestor who was actually given four first names at birth but in subsequent records there was another first name for him. It seems that he had a sibling who had died after he was born and had already been given his four first names. The family, however, must have called him by that sibling's first name but never had his birth record amended to reflect a name change. So in subsequent records, he had the first name of the deceased sibling. I really don't know what else to say at this point. I'd be interested in what first name appears for her in a death record.
Peg
My mom and dad came from two very different classes of Italian society. Dad's mom came from a very aristocrat family and mom's came from farmers and agricultural workers. When my mom's parents came to the US, they left their oldest son Giovanni in the care of my maternal grandmother's parents. I hea...