Campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Campobasso

Post by JohnArmellino »

My family is from the Province of Campobasso, principally the Comune of Campobasso, but also Busso, Casacalenda, Ferrazzano, Montagano, Oratino, and Ripalimosani. I'm researching the following surnames:

Researching in Campobasso (CB): Allocati, Antenucci, Armellino, Cerio, Colitto, Colucci, Cristina, de Rensis, del Rosso, di Niro, di Nonno, di Rito, di Soccio, di Tota, Diodato, Eliseo, Fagliarone, Gammieri, Giancarlo, Gianfagna, Guastaferro, Iabuffo aka Iabutto, Iammarino, Iannantuono, Iarocci, Latessa, Libertone, Libertucci, Livignali, Locato, Mancini, Marrone, Morena, Mucci aka Muccio aka Muccitto, Palladino, Paolecchia, Pasqualone, Petti, Piaccia, Pietrunto, Presutto, Romano, Salotto aka Salottolo, Santacroce, Santoro, Starruccio, Torella, Trotta, Vallillo, Veleno aka Veneno, Villano.

Researching in Oratino (CB): Brunetti, Grandillo, Iafelice, Iuliano, Mastrangelo. Latessa, Petti, Tizzano.

Researching in Busso (CB): Picciano, Ranallo, Sepede.

Researching in Ferrazzano (CB): Albino, Iarocci, Musenga, Santangelo.

Researching in Casacalenda (CB): Iacobacci, Mancino.

Researching in Ripalimosani: Gammieri.

Researching in Montagano: Iannaccio.

I am interested in exchanging information with anyone who is also doing research in the Campobasso area or who is interested in any of the surnames listed above.
John Armellino
Lyricsmama

Re: Campobasso

Post by Lyricsmama »

Hello, i am very new to this and have no idea where to start.
My surname is Graziano, my fathers name Donato, his fathers name Emido. They were from san giovanni in galdo(campobasso), Imigrated to Ontario Canada. I have never met my "grandfather" or that side of his family as my father/Nonna were left. I am interested in finding out research about Campobasso and my surname
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are poresently 10 graziano in San Giovanni In Galdo and are probably your relatives. Go to www.paginebianche.it and insert Grazxiano in the first line and San Giovanni in Galdo in the third line and click CERCA. All ten lsitings will appear by fullname,address and telephone number. In addition you can go to the nearest family history library of the mormon church and rent out the micorfilm of the civl records for San Giovanni in Galdo which go from 1809 to 1910 and there on the micorfilm you can trace you entire family thru ther births, marriages and deaths of the ressdient sin the town. For information after 1910 you can write for documents directly to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in the town thru sending a form letter in italian (www.circolocalabrfese.org). Peter
audralibertucci

Post by audralibertucci »

Hi, I just saw your message. My family is from Campobasso and my last name is (was) Libertucci. My great grandfather was Luigi Libertucci from Campobasso. I don't know much more but would like to find out.
Audra Wallace Libertucci
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I have two Libertucci branches in my family tree. My 2ggm Emilia Rosa Libertucci was born 21 AUG 1840 in Campobasso (CB) and my 4ggm Lucia Libertucci was born circa 1767/1779 in Campobasso (CB). I do have a 3C3R Luigi Libertucci, born 07 JUN 1870 in Campobasso (CB). Perhaps you have more information about your ggf, e.g., date of birth, parents, spouse, etc? If so, I might be able to connect him to my database.
John Armellino
audralibertucci

My great grandfather was Luigi Libertucci and I believe his wife's name was Emmanuela and she went by Emma.
Audra Wallace Libertucci
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Audra - I don't have a Luigi Libertucci married to an Emanuela in my database. I also checked the Ellis Island site, but couldn't find any entries for Luigi Libertucci. Were they married in Italy or the USA? If in Italy, I'll keep an eye out for a Luigi Libertucci/Emanuela marriage - I'm working through the marriage records now. If you have or find out more info about your GGF Luigi or GGM Emanuela, let me know. Thanks.
John Armellino
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

audralibertucci wrote:Hi, I just saw your message. My family is from Campobasso and my last name is (was) Libertucci. My great grandfather was Luigi Libertucci from Campobasso. I don't know much more but would like to find out.
Hi There,

Per the 1930 Census from New York, Luigi Libertucci came to the USA in 1900. He was already Naturalized by 1930.

Luigi Libertucci - born abt. 1870
Emma - born abt. 1875
Angelina - born abt. 1908
Julia - born abt. 1913
Florence - born abt. 1914
Joseph - born abt. 1917

Luigi and Emma were married about 1900-1904.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Trish - Thank you.

Audra - Could this be your GGF Luigi? If so, his age matches that of my 3C3R Luigi Libertucci. When I get back to NJ next month, I'll check the marriage records circa 1900 on the chance that Luigi and Emanuela were married in Campobasso (CB).
John Armellino
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

matches that of my 3C3R Luigi Libertucci
Hi John... :D what does that mean? First time I am seeing something written that way... 8O

Thanks, mfjp
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

It's an acronym for third cousin three times removed. You can check out a relationship chart at http://www.rootsweb.com/~genepool/cousins.htm. It includes some common genealogical acronyms.
John Armellino
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

:D
:D
:D ! Thank you! mfjp
audralibertucci

Hi John & Trish - Yes, this might very well be my ggf Luigi Libertucci who is also your 3C3R. I will forward this to my dad to see if he can clarify. He has his dad's birth certificate somewhere and can check for sure the names of the parents (Luigi & Emma) and maybe it also might list the dates of birth for the parents. I am sure that they came to the states after they were married. Thanks.
Audra Wallace Libertucci
audralibertucci

Hi, this is Audra. Here is a message from my dad-

The Luigi born in 1870 sounds about right. I am pretty sure he was married in Campobaso. My dad Arturo (Arthur) was born in 1906 but he was not the oldest. He had three sisters, Jean, Florence and Millie. Jean was the oldest. He had a brother Joseph who ended up in Wilkes Barre, PA and whose relatives are still in that area. My dad told me that his father and mother had two boys in Italy also named Arturo and Joseph who both died as children before they came to the US. Birth records there might show something about the parents. As far as I know, my Dad and his brothers and sisters were all born in NYC, starting around 1901 or so.
Audra Wallace Libertucci
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

My dad Arturo (Arthur) was born in 1906 but he was not the oldest. He had three sisters, Jean, Florence and Millie. Jean was the oldest. He had a brother Joseph who ended up in Wilkes Barre, PA and whose relatives are still in that area. My dad told me that his father and mother had two boys in Italy also named Arturo and Joseph who both died as children before they came to the US. Birth records there might show something about the parents. As far as I know, my Dad and his brothers and sisters were all born in NYC, starting around 1901 or so.
Was your Dad was born in 1906 (If so, God bless him!); with siblings born even earlier than 1900? If your great grandfather Luigi was born circa 1870, the dates don't seem to add up. Was Luigi your grandfather or your great grandfather? Was Arturo your father or grandfather?

I'll check the Campobasso records next month for the marriage of Luigi/Emanuela and the births/deaths of the two children Arturo and Giuseppe.
John Armellino