Translation of Church record Allenza/Marsala

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of Church record Allenza/Marsala

Post by didozo »

Hello
I want to first thank this website - if you had not directed me to the Family Center and gave me the name of the tapes to order I wouldn't have found this marriage certificate. However I need help translating it. I also cannot find any other papers for this marriage, just this form. I found this interesting because the rest of the records on the tapes have 4-5 papers relating to the same marriage. Is that unusual? There were 3 years that were all mixed in with each other so I don't know if it got put somewhere else.

Please help. Thanks Diana
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8070/img002qf.jpg
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: Translation of Church record Allenza/Marsala

Post by Sirena »

Diana,

This may be a processetti file which would account for the other pages. The processetti are the papers they had to present in order to get married. The other pages could be their parents' and grandparents' birth and marriage certificates.

In this one Giovanni Allenza son of Antonino and Chiofria Rizzo born 29 January 1874 and Maria Marsala daughter of the late Giovanni and Maria Giuseppa Colletti (still alive) born 10 Feb 1875. 16 Aug. 1896.
It appears that consent was granted for the marriage since she was 3 mos. pregnant.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Also this states it is the temporary dispensation from the parish church for the civil acts -- I'm not sure if that means they had a civil marriage and then she was pregnant and wanted to get married in church......maybe someone else would be able to explain that part. At the end, the priest adds that the dispensation was given because her mother consented to the marriage and adds to refrain from future scandals!
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by didozo »

Well - once again this website delivers! It confirms what we thought about the marriage date and the birth date of the child.
I have found the birth cft of the child in February 1897 and it says that is was a church marriage and so far I haven't found the civil record of their marriage.
Could they have never filed their civil marriage at the town?
Searching: Allenza -Villalba/Valledolmo, Marsala -Villalba, Trapani-Mistretta, and Mirra/Filippelli- Domanico, Benevento
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

It is a request of temporary dispensation from the civil acts, addressed by the Parish Church to the bishop of Caltanisetta. A simple translation follows:
Reverendissimo Monsignor Vicario,
Giovanni Allenza son of Antonino and Chiofria Rizzo born 29 January 1874 and Maria Marsala daughter of the late Giovanni and Maria Giuseppa Colletti (still alive) born 10 Feb 1875, who are my godchildren (= belong to my Parish), would like to get married. But the Allenza's father is in disagreement and therefore they cannot have a civil marriage.
We have to consider: 1) The applicants had a sinful relationship so that she is pregnant since 3 months. 2) The mother of Giovanni is giving her consent to the marriage. 3) The father's disagreement is unreasonable and arbitrary. 4) The consequence of this disagreement would be either that the woman is abandoned with the risk that she gets to the the road to perdition or that they start a public concubinage.
To avoid further sins and further scandals, I implore the temporary dispensation from the civil acts and from the father's agreement.
didozo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by didozo »

I've got to learn more Italian!

So this proves why I can't find the civil record. How do I prove they actually had the church wedding?
But since he presented the baby at the Town and stated it was a church marriage - where do I go from here? Both parents acknowledged the baby.

Would persons have married AFTER the fact?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

It is possible that they had a civil marriage after the birth of the baby.
A proof of the wedding can be asked to the Parish Church in Villalba:

Parrocchia S.Giuseppe
Via Libertà, 74
93010 Villalba (CL)
Italy
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Don't know if this can of any help but the correct name for Giovanni Alleanza's mother is Onofria Rizzo as Chiofria doesn't exist.

Ada
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

uantiti wrote:Don't know if this can of any help but the correct name for Giovanni Alleanza's mother is Onofria Rizzo as Chiofria doesn't exist.

Ada
Grazie Ada, as usual you are correct! :wink:
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Prego Livio :wink:

A.