why did so many Italians leave their country?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: why did so many Italians leave their country?

Post by wldspirit »

Spring Valley was founded in 1884 in the heart of the coal fields of Northern Illinois for the express purpose of mining of coal.

The building of Spring Valley was the enterprise of Henry J. Miller, one of the first settlers of this area, and his son-in-law, Charles J. Devlin. They conceived the idea of establishing a coal metropolis, in the Valley and on the slopes of the bluffs bordering Spring Creek, in the southeastern corner of Bureau County.

They acquired the mineral rights of 5,000 acres and purchased 500 acres on which to build the town. They secured the financial aid and cooperation of coal and railroad capitalists, E.N. Saunders of St. Paul, MN, a director of the Chicago and North Western railroad, Mr. Taylor of "What Cheer," IA, and W.L. Scott of Erie, PA. Scott was a United Stated Senator from Pennsylvania during the administration of President Cleveland.

Two companies were formed, the Spring Valley Coal Company and the Spring Valley Townsite Co. Backed by the almost unlimited resources of the coal barons, these two companies spent over 2 1/2 million dollars in less than four years in the building of the town.

The boring of the mine commenced in 1884 and the town surveyed and platted.

Spring Valley was a boom town, its growth was so rapid that it was called the "Magic City." In less than four years, by 1888, the Chicago North Western railroad had laid a line from DeKalb, IL, four mines had been sunk and the town had 3,000 people. It was brawling, boisterous place and was to remain so, more or less, until completion from the Southern Illinois coal fields forced the mine to close in late 1927. The town had gained a hard name, but had a cultural side too.

Spring Valley like every other coal town came to know almost every nationality in Europe. These people came from LaSalle, Peru, Braidwood, Braceville and all mining camps of Northern Illinois. The English, Scotch, Irish, Welsh, and Cornish from the Coal fields of Great Britain, from Northern France and Belgium. Polish, and Germans, Swedes and Lithuanians from opposite shores of the Baltic Sea, Slavish peasants from Central Europe and immigrants from sunny Italy. Many arriving here attired in their native dress tagged and ticketed from their port of entry. The town also developed a colored section known as the "Location." In 1905, the Bureau County Republican Newspaper stated that there were 32 distinct nationalities groups in Spring Valley.

http://www.ilstu.edu/~mtavakol/mjtonozzi.html

The above link is an article written on Spring Valley, and gives the reader
an idea of what conditions were like........as well as some dates of interest.

wldspirit
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Wildspirit very interesting but I still suspect casassa of something. Peter
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

That may very well be.....but hopefully it will provide future reference
for others who in searching for ancestors discover the destination of
Spring Valley.

Not one person in my family knew that Nonno and Nonna had any connection to this town when I uncovered it on their ship
manifest.....

When the weather breaks sufficiently, my mom and I are going to drive up there and check it out, they have a small museum of sorts with pictures
and history of the coal mining...and I want to check out the parish as well........leaving no stone unturned....

wldspirit
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

How interesting but remember that the devil first caresses the soul he seeks! Peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Peter,

What is the big deal with professional genealogists?

I would agree that those posts in which genealogists blatantly tout for new business are a little irritating and take advantage of Edmondo’s hospitality on this site. But then again, so are the constant advertisements for Trafford R Cole and Lynne Nelson’s books.

However, I do not see the harm in someone asking questions here and then **SPAM** the answers on as research. After all, if someone is willing to take all the insults and belittlement on someone else’s behalf, surely that has some financial value.

By constantly questioning the integrity of enquirers and the wisdom of responders, all you achieve is less questions and less answers in the public domain which is just what the professionals want.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

DeliBoy wrote: By constantly questioning the integrity of enquirers and the wisdom of responders, all you achieve is less questions and less answers in the public domain which is just what the professionals want.

My sentiments exactly. People DO actually stop posting because of his attitude and attacks. (I have three PM's to prove it). All I can say is that in any other (truly moderated) forum, he would be banned.

:?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

.....and the meek shall inherit the earth too. I do not think advising a young lady to be mindful of who she should deal with is bad form. it is helpful and reminds one that not everyone is as great as you, me and the rest of us conoscenti. I always thought democracy gives everyone an opportunity to express themselves (words do not hurt but clarify) and yet even here there are people who would emulate the phrase "Mussolini ha sempre ragione" (mussolini is always right) and banish anydeviation from the norm. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Postscript: There are now 13,511 people subscribed to the forum and these numbers ahve increased from 2 (when I first joined) to 13,511 today so I am not fearful about the loss of anyone and certainly recognize the increased caliber of intelligent people we are getting on this so called loose and wanton (bordello?) forum. In the meantime has anybody been able to determine what is the speed of Dark yet??? Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Postscript: There are now 13,511 people subscribed to the forum and these numbers ahve increased from 2 (when I first joined) to 13,511 today so I am not fearful about the loss of anyone and certainly recognize the increased caliber of intelligent people we are getting on this so called loose and wanton (bordello?) forum. In the meantime has anybody been able to determine what is the speed of Dark yet??? Peter
Membership was never an issue, yes people join, They just dont POST more than once or twice . As usual you missed the point. They post, you react, and so many never post again. You scare them off, or make them think twice about posting when they should not at all. You are truly an amateur who has learned very little in all his years in regards to genealogy. I have seen your posts on Rootsweb, hundreds of them, not one worthy of note. You have caused quite a stir there as well, offending people right and left.
As long as you prevent the natural flow of this forum, and cause people to think twice about asking questions, and others from trying to assist them I will be here. You are not an asset to this forum, you cause so much more damage than assistance.

Jim
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I never did post on Rootsweb save once or twice in all my career so I have no ideas of what you are talking about. As for the rest, the natural flow continues despite your protestations and fragile id. You leave me no chice but to dismiss you kind sir said he with a smile and hope that the morrow brings you a throbbing toothache. Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ptimber wrote:I never did post on Rootsweb save once or twice in all my career so I have no ideas of what you are talking about. As for the rest, the natural flow continues despite your protestations and fragile id. You leave me no chice but to dismiss you kind sir said he with a smile and hope that the morrow brings you a throbbing toothache. Peter
Dismiss me? why don't just dismiss yourself from this forum. You have nothing to offer here. You are not only rude, but completely incompetent and not so well.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Since you label me as being out of my mind, please feel free to leave a message. Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ptimber wrote:Since you label me as being out of my mind, please feel free to leave a message. Peter
Whatever....your attempts at wit leave something to be desired.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

edit
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Op cit