Figlio as Surname

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nagnello
Rookie
Rookie

Figlio as Surname

Post by nagnello »

I have only been searching for my Italian relatives for 6 months or so and enlisted my brothers help. He discovered something I didn't catch, the use of 'figlio' for child under parents names on ship manifests. I looked up 'figlio' on Ellis island and came up with 900 names, mostly all children. Has this error come to the attention of the people who transcribe the records? No wonder I haven't located my great aunts and uncles who came over from Italy as children. Also 'moglie' for wife was used sometimes.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Figlio as Surname

Post by Italysearcher »

Usually they were travelling with a parent and if it says 'figlio' then it was ether the mother or father. Of course if you don't know the parents names then you are in trouble.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

in most cases if listed as figlio it would be a son, figlia a daughter.

good luck, j
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Ancestry.com has TONS of these transcription errors (EllisIsland is usually more accurate). In fact, my great grandaunt (Raffaela Fiorillo) who had the word "daughter" next to her name on her immigration record, was transcribed as Raffaela Daugh Furillo on Ancestry.com.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito