Patron Saint of Italians

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Patron Saint of Italians

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao tutti,

Here is something that I've often wondered about and maybe someone here can shed some light on for me. I've always heard from family that Saint Joseph is the patron saint of Italians.

But, I've discovered, St. Francis of Assisi is the patron saint of Italy. Which makes more sense as he is Italian.

BUT, apparently, the number one most prayed to saint in Italy (more even than the Madonna) is... Padre Pio. :(

So, who exactly (if anyone) is the "official" patron saint of Italians, Joseph, Pio, or Francis? Anyone know?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Patron Saint of Italians

Post by maestra36 »

I believe the official patron saint of Italy is Saint Francis of Assisi
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Don't forget Catherine of Siena, who is also Patron Saint of Italy along with Saint Francis of Assisi.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Of course each town has its own Patron Saint and each Italian has their own preferred Saint.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Yes, each town has their own patron saint. Francis of Assisi is patron saint of Italy and Catherine of Siena is patroness. Padre Pio is very much loved (Im one of them) because he is a more recent saint in Italy with many miracles tied to him and died in 1968. So many people are still alive who knew St Pio very well. Francis (Franciscan order) and Catherine (Dominican order) are much older saints but very recognized in the Church and Italy. Also St Joseph is the patron saint of the whole Catholic Church itself.