Alia, Palermo, Sicily Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sazzlynn
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Alia, Palermo, Sicily Families

Post by sazzlynn »

Many Alia families immigrated to Louisiana. The Rumfola family in Baton Rouge and Houston are rooted in Alia where the named was spelled Runfola. Also related to the Rumfello family in Napoleonville. They depended on the priest to spell the name and never changed it. I have numerous records that state they were native of Alia.
I just spent a day in the Houston Clerk of Court office looking for marriage records of our Rotolo family. I found 5 records of marriages for Rumfolas between the years of 1930 and 1943. I know they must be relations because they lived next door on Winter Street and are buried in ajoining cemetery plots.
maureenm

Post by maureenm »

hello,this is my first posting.My husbands family are all from alia.I will give you the info that i know and maybe some of the missing pieces will be answered. Our name is Marchiafava we are in chicago.His father is Rosolino and he has nine brother and sisters.His grandmother name was rosalia and his grandfather was damiano His grandmothers maiden name was Trippi.I was told she was born in penn.and went back to alia and got married.I know one of her brothers (frank) stayed in the us and lived in indiana.When her husband died in italy she returned to the us with her three smallest children and went to live in indiana.where she lived untill she died a few years ago.the rest of her children over the years came to the us too.My husbands mother family is Vicari.I think is grandmother was vincenzia and his grandfather salvatore.that is all i know about the Viari family.His grandfather never came her to live but the grandma did until she died.any other info anyone has would be great thank you
CaliDon

Post by CaliDon »

If you could come up with any dates, it would help a lot. I can help with birth, death, and marriage prior to 1911.

Paternal Grandfather Damiano Marchiafava m. Rosalia Tripi date ?
son: Rosolino born ? + 9 siblings
Rosalia born in Pennsylvania, but married in Alia, when ?
Her brother Frank Tripi (probably Francesco)

Maternal grandfather: Salvatore Vicari m. Vincenza ?
daughter: ? Vicari

Rosolino Marchiafava married ? Vicari - when?????
Again dates will help a lot, even ballpark dates. When they came over, ages in census, anything
maureenm

Post by maureenm »

i will try and get as many dates that i can My husband came to the us in 1967 but his grandmother came from alia with her three youngest children in the 50's my husband was born in 1955 but didn't meet his grandma until he came to the us in 1967.She lived with her brother frank in indianappolis until she came to chicago.I will ask her daughter if she has any more info.I dont know how many brothers and sisters she had.The only one i remember was Frank in In thank you so much maureen
TanyaO

Post by TanyaO »

Sazzlyn, I might be able to help you. My mom was a Rumfola and we have Marchifavas and Rotolos in the family as well. My great grandparents came from Alia and settled in southern Louisiana, eventually in Baton Rouge. Drop me a line if we're the ones in which you are interested.

Tanya
Tanirocker@aol.com
harleycat

Post by harleycat »

JoannL wrote:Hey Harleycat,

Where in Texas are you from? I live inLake Charles, Louisiana.

Can you please give me the name of your great grandfather? and also his sister? and who she was married to?

Joann
Oh wow, it's been ages since I've poked around here. So, I'll try to update as much as I can. I will soon have some more info on the family since I finally have gotten in contact with my Scaccia cousins.

OK, see what I can answer:

Liborio Scaccia was born Aug 1854 (per census) and died 23 Sep 1918 during the influenza epidemic in New Orleans (though I think it was him that I was told fell off the roof and died of an infection). He married Francesca Panepinto (b. 12 Jan 1864? Not sure of the year and d. 1963). Liborio, Frances, and 5 children (Rosolino-Frank, Giuseppa, Cologera, Giulia, and Rosalia) entered the US thru Ellis Island 1 May 1898 aboard the Hesperia. Per the manifest, they were going to Amesville, LA to join Uncle Antonino Cortese.

From what I was recently told, they then got on another boat to New Orleans. One of the children I believe was frighten because they believed they were going back to Italy, and the trip to the US was not an easy one. They were to meet some man that Liborio did not know in New Orleans, but that person did not show. So, here was an Italian family, just off the ship, can speak no English and nowhere to go. Liborio apparently ran into someone he knew. This person took them home and fed them pasta and the family bedded with bags of corn. Rosalino (Frank) was scolded for taking a roll.

Frank Scaccia (b. 16 Jan 1887) married Francesca Riscisca 14 Jan 1916. He died durig the infuenza epidemic on 31 Oct 1918. Apparently his sister was also ill, and was angry when her husband dressed up to go out while she was so ill. They had wanted to keep his death from her, but due to her anger had to tell her of her brother's death.

Josephine Scaccia (b. Sep 1888) married Antonino Romano 6 Sep 1911. She died in 1968 and he in 1971. They had three children, one of whom is still living.

Lena Scaccia (b. 19 Jun 1891) married Antonino La Rocca 23 Sep 1914. She died 1986 and he in 1967. They had one daughter.

Giulia Scaccia (b. 17 Dec 1893) married Joseph Bonacorso about 1918. She died in 1980. They had at least two children.

Lillian Scaccia (b. 16 Oct 1896) married Frank W Piper abt 1922. They had at least two children.

Mary Scaccia (the only one born in New Orleans, b. 3 Sep 1904). Married --- Craig (and possible someone before). She died in 1970.

In 1905, Frances Panepinto Scaccia was joined by her brother Salvatore/Savador Panepinto (b. 23 Oct 1881), his wife Paola Morana (b. 4 Jan 1885) and their infant son Pietro (b. 28 Nov 1904). Sam Pinto remained in New Orleans where they had four additional children. They then moved to Hilsboro, Hill County, Texas around 1913 where they had three more children. They returned to New Orleans and were there for the 1920 census living with his widowed sister. They then moved to Waco where two more children were born. They moved to Houston probably around 28 Sep 1926 (I have a receipt from HL&P on that date. Sam was a shoemaker, but I am uncertain the reason for the different locations. There was a Panepinto family in Waco in which I wonder if there is a family connection.

Antonino Cortese was probably Frances and Sam's maternal uncle. The Scaccia connections that I have spoken to (I sent 5 letters and have 3 responses), all stated that there was not much contact to the Cortese family. In fact, they basically stated they didn't realize at first there was a family connection until later. A possible explanation to this is Antonino was suppose to meet the Scaccia family and did not for whatever reason. I could see this causing some strain in the relationship. It is only a theory, though.

Sam and Pauline's eldest daughter's baptismal record shows Philp and Maria Centanni as her sponsors. Maria was Antonino's daughter.

Bonfanti- this is actually from Paola Morana. Her parents were Giuseppe Morana (b. 18 Apr 1854) and Filomena Bonfanti (b. abt. 1855).

When researching the Scaccia family, I found more on the Bonfanti family living in New Orleans. Antonino Bonfanti and Maria Grazi Federico had at least Joseph (b. 13 Jan 1880), Anthony (b. 28 Mar 1887), and Lauretta (b. abt 1892). Joseph married Anna Caro. Anthony married Vencenza Termini. Laura married Gaetano Scaccia (b. 28 Feb 1887).

Note here is I have seen Scaccia and Sciacca interchanged in some of the New Orleans records on ancestry.com.

I am still looking for information on one Panepinto daughter that died young. Florence (or Filomena) Panepinto was born 1 Apr 1908 and baptized at St. Stephen Church 16 Aug 1908 with Rosaline Scaccia and Josephine Scaccia as her sponsors. Family story has her dying in New Jersey when Pauline went to visit her family during a blizzard. We have yet to find any record of her death or burial.

I should be receiving more information on the Scaccia family soon. I don't know if it'll give me more info on the ancestry of Liborio Scaccia and possibly show a connection to other Scaccias in New Orleans.

I am also interested in info on Antonino Panepinto in New Orleans. He was actually living nearby Frances Scaccia and Sam Pinto in 1920.

So, looking for these Alia families:
Pietro Giovanni Panepinto and Maria Calogera Cortese. Children born early 1860's to early 1880's: Rosalia (no info), Giovanni (no info), Francesca, Giuseppa, Concetta, and Salvatore. One daughter married a Drago.

Giuseppe Morana and Filomena Bonfanti. Children were born 1877-1895: Emannuele, Salvatore, Emannuele, Antonino, Paola, Salvatrice, Maria Grazia, Rosalia, and Giuseppe.

Emannuele Morana (b. 1831) and Paola Crocefissa Mortellaro (b. 1834).

Giuseppe Morana (b. ca 1803) and Vita Gullo, in Mussomele.

Biaggio Morana (d. 1835) and Maria Calia.

Gaetano Morana and Maria Scarnina.

Liborio Mortellaro (d. 1837) and Grazia Sedita.

Filipo Mortellaro (d. 1846) and Paola Insigna.

Vincenzo Mortellaro and Gaetana Taulli.

None of the above has been proved. So would welcome any comments, corrections, or whatever.
LFazzio

Post by LFazzio »

My great grandmother's name was Frances Scaccia. She married Antonio Matise. I know Antonio Matise is from Vicari, Sicily. Frances is from Palermo so could also very well be from Vicari. When they came to the US, they settled in Independence, Tickfaw,La. They owned a strawberry farm and had about 11 children. I do not know any other Scaccia other then my great grandmother. I know she was born Aug 29, 1883. My grandmother was Christine Matise and she married Pete Fazzio. I know Vicari is a small town and I'm just wondering if there is a connection.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

civil records for Vicari can be found on microfilm at your nearest Mormon FHLibrary and can be rented fopr about $5.00. The film show all births,marriages and deaths from 1820 to 1910 so that you can trace the families back and see if they interconnect somewhere along the line.

Take along the boook Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson whichi is a companion book for the micorfilms.

The nearest FHlibrary to you canbe found at www.familysearch.org =Peter=
~Peter~
jac88

Post by jac88 »

kelwien wrote:I have located my family members from Alia. The surnames are Martino, Cimo, Lo Savio. The Martinos came over in the 1890s to New Orleans. Great grandparents Vincenzo Martino and Pasqua Cimo Martino, their children Calogero, Ciro, Carolina, Giovanna, and Beatrice came over in 1899. Ciro, my grandfather married Calogeria (Carolina) Lo Savio. Giovanna married a LaCorte and Beatrice married a DeMarco. Anyone with connections?
mj92159

Post by mj92159 »

I am looking for help with identifying what part of Sicily my great grand parents would likely be from. The family names are Mascarella, Speruta, Battaglia, and Gaeta. Any guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

mj92159 wrote:I am looking for help with identifying what part of Sicily my great grand parents would likely be from. The family names are Mascarella, Speruta, Battaglia, and Gaeta. Any guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum!
You may want to start your own post so your family stays separate from others.
Just click 'new topic' just below this post on the left
Valarie
Pattig
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pattig »

Angelo and Mary Guarino (possible maiden name Cemito) are my great grandparents. They were born around 1855 and were married about 1883 in I believe Alia. They had a son Dominick while in Italy. Around 1888 to 1890, Angelo went to New Orleans, Louisiana and she followed soon after. While in New Orleans they had: Mary, Rose, Santo, Salvador and Josephine. The men married and stayed in the New Orleans area and the women married and ended up in California. One daughter, Mary, married Nick DiSalvo also possibly from Alia.

Does anyone have any information on my branch of Guarino's from Alia? Or, where should I begin looking to find where my family came from? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Pattig
carla8478

Post by carla8478 »

I have read through the pages on Alia families and found many useful resources. However, I have not seen anything about the Messina surname.

My grandfather was Lorenzo Messina, he was born in Louisiana. His father was Salvatore Messina who was born 09-21-1882 in Alia. Salvatore's parents were Gerlando Messina and Maria Ricotta. I do not have their birthdates only that they lived in Alia.

Does anyone have any info that would connect to this?

Thanks

Oh, I also have some info on Salvatore's siblings in case anyone is related to them. They were: Johanna (married a Granita or Grenatta, lived in Morgan City, LA?), Giacomo "Jack", and Gerlando (supposed to have descendants in New Jersey)

Surnames mentioned: Messina, Ricotta, Granita, and Grenatta.
marchias

Post by marchias »

sazzlynn wrote:I am researching families from Alia, Sicily including the names Rotolo, Rumfola, Todaro and Marchiafava. I would be interested in coresponding with others concerning these family names to share information.
My name is Sean Marchiafava.

I am related to both Marchiafava and Scaccia from Alia, Sicily.

I have gone back as far as Santo Marchiafava married to Filippa Scaccia

Santo was my 4th great grandfather.
marchias

Post by marchias »

mj92159 wrote:I am looking for help with identifying what part of Sicily my great grand parents would likely be from. The family names are Mascarella, Speruta, Battaglia, and Gaeta. Any guidance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
I have a Filippa Mascarella in my line married to Santo Marchiafava in Alia, Sicily in 1815