USCIS Experience - 45 Days for Certification of Nonexistence

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

USCIS Experience - 45 Days for Certification of Nonexistence

Post by sforza »

Wanted to update folks on my recent experience with USICS. I ordered an index search at the end of July and then just went ahead and separately requested a cert of nonexistence of record at the beginning of September. Still no word on the index search, but I received the cert of nonexistence last week. Amazing. Unless the Consulates require the no-records from the index search, I would just go ahead and write for the certification of nonexistence of record. And unlike the index search, it's free!
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Re: USCIS Experience - 45 Days for Certification of Nonexist

Post by Gianna75010 »

Thanks for the info. I also sent in my request for a cert of non-existence at the beginning of September, but it hasn't come yet. Hopefully, I should get it soon.

Can you tell me what the certificate says? I read in another thread that it needs to have specific language that the immigrant never became a US citizen (see thread http://www.italgen.com/Forums/viewtopic ... guage.html ). Does your letter specifically say he did not become a citizen?

Thanks.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Hi Gianna,
Yes, I've been thinking about the issue you raise. From what I've read, the NYC Consulate requires that little extra umph - ie, not just that the records don't exist, but that the person never naturalized. My letter does not have that last statement. I'm using Newark for each of my parent's appointments. I believe you're using Newark too? I saw many recent post of successes there; we may want to ask one of those folks if the no-naturalization issue applied to them and whether the standard USCIS cert of nonexistence was sufficient.
My feeling is however, that I don't want to raise the bar in Newark if they're not currently asking for the stronger statement, thus creating an extra step for everyone who applies there subsequently. If some people show up w/the stronger letter, it makes those ltrs w/o it seem a less credible source.
That all said, what I took away from folks who needed the stronger statement was that it wasn't difficult to get the letter amended by USCIS.
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

I am applying in Newark too. That's a good point about raising the bar for subsequent applicants. I'd never thought of that before. I guess what I can do is request a letter with stronger language (if it doesn't have it already). Then when I go to the appointment, I'll give them the regular letter. If they then say it needs stronger language, I'll give them the other one. That is if I get the letters before my appointment. :-)

Has anyone applied in Newark with a letter of non-existence from the USCIS? Did the letter require special language?
Lattucagustavo

Re: USCIS Experience - 45 Days for Certification of Nonexistence

Post by Lattucagustavo »

Hola! Podrías decirme por favor cuál fue el modelo de carta que utilizaste para enviar al Ucsis, y que envíen su contestación con el certificado de no existencia de registro de naturalización? Gracias