Scerni - Looking for Raimondi & Ottaviano families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DrGregC

Scerni - Looking for Raimondi & Ottaviano families

Post by DrGregC »

I am looking for my Raimondi & Ottaviano relatives in Scerni, provincia di Chieti, Abruzzo, Italy.

My grandmother, Rosa Raimondi, was born in Scerni in 1892. There were 6 children in her family. 4 came to the US. 2 stayed in Scerni - Luigi Raimondi and Nucella Ottaviano.

Luigi Raimondi had 3 children - Giovanni (b. 1910), Nino (b. 1914) & Eugenio (b. 1916). Eugenio married Fiorenza. They had a daughter, Paoletta.

Nucella Ottaviano had 3 children - Salvatore, Arturo & Minuccio.

My grandmother's parents were Eugenio (b. 10/23/1850) and Gesulina (Rossi) Raimondi.

The family name was originally Raimondi (no letter "y" in Italian). For some reason, it was changed to Raymondi . Even my Italian family years ago spelled it this way in their correspondence.

Growing up, I was always told that the Raimondi's were ruling class in Scerni. Imagine my surprise when I found that there was, in fact, a Palazzo Raimondi in Scerni. Apparently, there were Raimondi's in control of Scerni for over 100 years.

Any help in tracking down the Raimondi/Raymondi and Ottaviano families is appreciated.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Scerni - Looking for Raimondi & Ottaviano families

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum!

This may help you locate family currently living in Scerni.

White pages:
http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

Form Letter to a Possible Relative
DrGregC

Post by DrGregC »

Thanks very much to vj. Pagine Bianchi has given us a few names to work with - not specifically in Scerni, but in provincia di Chieti.

I was hoping that members on this board might have some specific knowledge of:

Scerni

Raimondi/Raymondi

Ottaviano

Thank you!
Raymondip

Post by Raymondip »

buongiorno ho visto solo ora il messaggio che mi riguarda. sono Paola Raymondi (Paoletta) figlia di Eugenio e di Fiorenza Baldelli. vivo a Perugia e sono stata in agosto a Scerni per sapere altre notizie sul mio bisnonno, Eugenio Raymondi, di cui già alcuni anni fa avevo ritrovato la tomba nel cimitero di Scerni. Sono venuta in possesso del libro scritto nel 1919 dal mio bisnonno sulla storia di Scerni e delle sue famiglie e pubblicato dall'avvocato Squadrone qualche anno fa. l'avvocato che ho avuto il piacere di conoscere a Scerni, vuole ripubblicare il libro l'anno prossimo per il centenario dell'edizione. Sicuramente se l'evento avrà luogo vi parteciperò. Spero di ricevere una sua risposta anche in inglese. Paola raymondi
DrGregC

Post by DrGregC »

It has been almost 8 years since I started this thread. I am happy to say that I have learned a great deal about my family in Italy, including Paola Raymondi, my second cousin who I just "met" earlier this week. Paola is correct. Everything in our family begins and ends with Eugenio Raymondi (b. 10/23/1850). The book that he wrote in 1919 traces our family to Venice in the 1500's. To me, the most important person, and the person we know the least about, is my great grandmother, Gesulina Rossi. Eugenio and Gesulina had 6 children together, but never married. The children were raised with the surname Rossi, but lived in the home of the town of Scerni's dignitary, their father, Eugenio Raymondi. Gesulina died young. The children were raised by governess after their mother died. Eugenio signed a legal document in 1920 certifying that he was the father of the 6 (now adult) children who had lived with their mother's surname, Rossi. The 3 girls were all married, but the 3 boys changed their name to Raymondi. Quite a story. Gesulina Rossi deserves her own thread!