2nd appointment in NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

2nd appointment in NYC

Post by Donald66 »

We had our 2nd appointment at the NY Consulate this morning.

We went over our documents again and the interviewer kept our USCIS record, NARA, Census record, certificates and translations.

We also completed Forms 1, 2 & 4.

The interviewer said we will hear something from them, but wouldnt say when.

What's our chances of success at this point? Better than 50/50??
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: 2nd appointment in NYC

Post by sceaminmonkey »

did you have discrepancies on your documents? I am by no means an expert but, from what I have read on this site and others is that they do not bother taking your documents if they have a problem with them. post a little more information like discrepancies and missing documents etc. I think your chances are pretty good.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

He requested a translation of 1 document, which we had done locally and e-mailed to the Consulate before 5pm last night.

The main issue is the discrepancy in the last name of our grandfather, father and ourselves. At first, the interviewer didnt think this would be a real problem, but at the end of our meeting he said the final decision would be up to his supervisor.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

In my experience, the consulates - NYC in particular - do not formally accept an application until they are reasonably certain that it will pass muster. Think about it: after the first few times your interviewer gets reamed out by his/her supervisor for making him "waste my time on an obviuosly flawed application", the interviewer will have learned his lesson.

I made my final submission in NYC in late June, 2008. Prepared to wait a year or more before hearing anything back, I was very pleasantly shocked to receive my letter of recognition just four weeks later.

Your milage may vary.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Why did you have to wait for a second appointment in the first place? And just curious how long did it take for a second appointment? 3 month wait?
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

We had 3 USCIS letters with the various spellings of our surname & no naturalization was found under any of the variations. However, the interviewer wanted all the variations listed on 1 Certificate of Non-Existence of Record from the USCIS. So, we had to request the Certification again.

We starting e-mailing & calling the Consulate for a 2nd appointment in September, but didnt get a response til mid October.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Went through the papers we took to the appointment on Friday and realized that the interviewer didnt take the translation of my wife's birth certificate (she isnt applying at the time).

He did keep our marriage license translation and the birth certificate translations for my son and myself.

Sound correct?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Best guess is since your wife isn't applying at this time, the comune will not need to enter her birth certificate into the registry. However, your marriage and the children's birth certificates will be entered.

Note that on this consulate page and the associated downloadable form, there is no requirement to submit a new spouse's birth certificate in order to register a marriage: http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... to_civile/
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

With Philly also it is ONLY applicants and childrens BC and MC and translations. The spouse BC/translation comes in later if they choose to apply under you
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

:) Thanks for the answers! :)
UpstateNY

Post by UpstateNY »

Hello, have you heard back from the Consulate at all regarding your second appointment? I just had my second appointment a couple weeks ago and am wondering on wait times. Thanks for any info!
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Sounds to me like you are on your way to citizenship success. I wouldn't bank on it yet, but if they are accepting docs, that is a really good sign. 2011 might be your year! Buona Fortuna. ;)
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Havent heard anything from the Consulate yet, but I race home daily to check the mail!
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Donald66 wrote:Havent heard anything from the Consulate yet, but I race home daily to check the mail!
I bet. Make sure you let us know if you make it. There is nothing like hearing of someone's success in this crazy process to bolster the hope that someday it will end positively for the rest of us. :D
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

My appointment is March 1st. The anticipation is killing me! Every couple of days I go through every page. I pray that they take my doc's the first time.