Piazza to Di Piazza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Piazza to Di Piazza

Post by piazza16428 »

I have been researching the Piazza Family from Vallelunga Pratameno, Province of Caltanisetta, Sicily, Italy for some time now and have been doing some investigating and have found some interesting information.

Could the current name Piazza have been derived from Di Piazza? When would have they dropped the Di ?

I have found information regarding a Rosario Cardinale. He was the son of 2. Loreto Cardinale and 3. Grazia Valenti. He married Loreta Baudo 11 SEP 1797 in Vallelunga, daughter of Giachino Baudo and Filippa Crispino. He married Anna Mogavero. She was born ABT 1790 in Vallelunga, and died 10 JAN 1820 in Vallelunga. He married Giuseppa Di Piazza 2 AUG 1824 in Vallelunga, daughter of Manfredo Di Piazza and Vincenza Cerasa.

I have a Manfredo Piazza married to a Vincenza Cerasa on our family tree but I have no dates associated with these individuals. I find it hard to believe that the Manfredo and the Vincenza I have listed are not the same individuals shown in the preceding paragraph.

Thanks in advance
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Piazza to Di Piazza

Post by johnnyonthespot »

a) In my maternal line, I have at least four generations of Di Iacovo's until my grandfather was born in 1886 (in Italy, as were the rest); his birth and marriage acts both say Iacovo without the Di. The birth acts of his two eldest daughters, also born in Italy, are very clearly Di Iacovo for the first-born and Iacovo for the second. So, yes, it does happen that prefixes come and go.

b) It is not terribly unusual to find two or more instances of a John Smith marrying a Mary Jones when you are looking at a period of many years, even in a fairly small comune of a few thousand population. Often they will even have some of the same or very similar children's names.

While your two sets of Manfredo and Vincenza may in fact be just one pair of people, it is not outside the realm of possibility that they are actually two different couples.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Post by piazza16428 »

Carmine

Thanks for that information, I guess I need to tie down the dates for these individuals and make that the connection point.

Trying to piece together the puzzle during the 1700's is quite a challange but it is certainly a labor of love.

Oh the Google Earth thing is cool, thanks for the link.

Sam
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

piazza16428 wrote:I find it hard to believe that the Manfredo and the Vincenza I have listed are not the same individuals shown in the preceding paragraph.
They are the same persons.
In that time it was very usual to use "Di" (= of, from) for a toponymic surname. In fact your surname (Piazza) indicates the geographic origin of your family. Piazza, nowdays Piazza Armerina, is a very ancient Comune in province of Enna, Sicily.
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Post by piazza16428 »

Thanks Marcello for this information.

Is there any other indication of the Children that Manfredo Di Piazza and Vincenza Cerasa had.

Currently I have a Cristofaro that was one of their children who was married to a Beatrice Fraterrigo and it appears that they may have had a child Giuseppa Di Piazza that was married to Rosario Cardinale on 2 Aug 1824.

Sorry but I have no dates for Manfredo Di Piazza, Vincenza Cerasa or Cristofaro Piazza. I do know that they all came from Vallelunga Pratameno, Province of Caltanisetta, Sicily, Italy

I will also begin putting information together on the Di Piazza family and see where it leads. Thanks once again.

Sam Piazza