Italian constItution

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Italian constItution

Post by sceaminmonkey »

http://www.senato.it/documenti/reposito ... nglese.pdf

I found it to be very interesting and am curious on other peoples thoughts on it. It mentions Italians abroad and their rep in parliament . Interesting stuff . I feel like alot of constitutions on the western world say the same thing
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian constItution

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Italian citizens residing outside Italy get to elect their own representatives to parliament. These MP's represent the interests of the foreign residing citizens. For example, we have a member of the Chamber of Deputies (like the House of Reps) and a Senator that are elected by and responsible for Italian citizens living in N. America. I've been in contact with them both. Theoretically. as a "future" Italian citizen, they represent us in the process of getting Jure Sanguinis citizenship to.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Wow I really like that. Puerto Rico residents don't even get voting shares in the house of reps . D.c residents didn't till recently either. Do they live in north America? What are their nAmes?
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

They reside in Roma, so they can be at the parliament to vote and what not, when parliament is in session, but they were elected while living aboard. Our rep is Gino Bucchino (PD) - he normally lives in Toronto, Canada. Our senator is Basilio Giordano (PdL) - he normally lives in Quebec, Canada. The senator is very hard to get a hold of.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Oh, by the way, in case you aren't into Italian politics:

PD - partito democratico - Democratic Party (not in power)

PdL - Popolo di Liberta' - People of Liberty (in power - Berlusconi's party).

The PD is more what we'd call liberal, and the PdL is more conservative.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

wow thanks, I had no idea. so they represent only north america? and what do they do? is there a english website explaining the italian house of reps. something besides wikipedia.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

They represent central america to. Here is their official website in English:

http://english.camera.it/
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

so the current italian government is more conservative? is there any chance in the future you think that people who are approved for citizenship will lose it? is the more right leaning party there nationalist like they are here?
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

No, an Italian recognized by blood can never lose his citizenship just like an American born on the soil cannot.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

What if there becomes a requirement where if you have not resided in X amount of time or something they take it. The netherlands has something like that. America did to up until the 60's . Just saying is it possible?
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I have to agree with jennabet, for Italy to pass a law like that they would need to radically re-define their conception of citizenship and their constitution. The Italian gov't bases citizenship on blood (jure sanguinis) not on length of time living in the country. To change this, there would have to be a revolutionary change in the basic concept of what it means to be Italian. Their concept of citizenship is why they provide a representative to foreign residing citizens.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I dont disagree. I hope they keep it as the law stands now. I just see so many laws changing through out europe it just concerns me. and since a lot of the countries are changing their laws because of EU rules on citizenship it makes me wonder if it will possible change
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

So far the more nationalistic elements in Italy seem more concerned with the people living in Italy who are not "Italian by blood" than with us jure sanguinis candidates.

I could see the EU bringing heat on Italy to stop granting citizenship via jure sanguinis, but it's really hard to imagine them revoking citizenship from those who already have it.

We just gotta get in while the gettings good :)
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

jennabet wrote:No, an Italian recognized by blood can never lose his citizenship just like an American born on the soil cannot.
An Italian can lose citizenship as follows:
1. Il cittadino italiano perde la cittadinanza se, avendo accettato un impiego pubblico od una carica pubblica da uno Stato o ente pubblico estero o da un ente internazionale cui non partecipi l'Italia, ovvero prestando servizio militare per uno Stato estero, non ottempera, nel termine fissato, all'intimazione che il Governo italiano puo' rivolgergli di abbandonare l'impiego, la carica o il servizio militare.
2. Il cittadino italiano che, durante lo stato di guerra con uno Stato estero, abbia accettato o non abbia abbandonato un impiego pubblico od una carica pubblica, od abbia prestato servizio militare per tale Stato senza esservi obbligato, ovvero ne abbia acquistato volontariamente la cittadinanza, perde la cittadinanza italiana al momento della cessazione dello stato di guerra.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The English version:

The website of the Ministero dell'Interno / Interior Ministry ( http://www.interno.it/mininterno/export ... rsion.html ) says:
Loss of citizenship

The Italian citizenship can be lost in the following cases

By explicit renunciation in the following cases:

•If the person resides abroad and holds another citizenship
•Upon the coming of age, if the person holds another citizenship and the Italian citizenship was acquired when the person was a minor following the naturalisation of his/her parents
•Upon the coming of age, following withdrawal of the adoption, if the person holds another citizenship

Automatically in the following cases:

•In case of withdrawal of the adoption on account of a fact chargeable to the adopted person
•In case the person does not comply with the Government’s order to quit either a public post or the military service in a foreign State
Also, see http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... 19115.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)