How long did it take you to complete app (gather documents?)

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

How long did it take you to complete app (gather documents?)

Post by JPMessina44 »

I made another post saying that I just got my great grandfathers birth record from Catania today.

I started collecting documents on October 15th, 2010....just received myfinal document back today (11/8/2010)

Perhaps I completed the application in blazing, worldclass speed? I got extremely lucky obviously.

Im going thru my my great grandfather, so a lot of levels. The hardest things were my ggrandpa from Catania and great grandma from Siracusa....i first sent my letters on 10/15 asking for them. My great grandma came back least week (free) and great grandpa today!!

Abnormally fast, huh? 10/15/2010 to 11/8/2010....23 days!!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: How long did it take you to complete app (gather documen

Post by DeFilippis78 »

You have everything you need? You have all your BC, MC and DC, naturalization papers, etc? That sounds pretty good. Ive been working on this for a year and I didnt even start translation or apostilles yet. For my family Ive had to be a true detective and many on here have helped me in countless ways. I still have a lot of holes in my application and documentation though that always has me second guessing whether I should go through with it or not.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

I have everything I need, minus the apostilled marriage certificate from Massachusetts for my great grandparents. i sent that out today for the apostille, but I have all BC, MC, and DCs for both sides of the family. I was lucky cause I live in JC, so I was able to walk myself thru the departments in NYC, city clerk for certifications, and apostilles on Williams Street.

I did all the translations myself (with help of my coworker who was born in Italy.)

I have one big concern, but I just dont want to go thru the process of amending, but my fathers birth is Paul Messina and his marriage states Paul J Messina. He was born without a middle name but took his confirmation name of John and starting using as a middle. I have a bad feeling they will nail me for this but otherwise, I think I am good to go on the application front.

I'm thinking about writing out a document, getting it notarized explaining the difference, but wont offer it to the consulate unless they ask me about it.

I've also contacted his church where he was confirmed, asking them for the document showing his confirmation name of John. His church is in the Bronx, if need me, ill make the trip on a day off of work to go there personally. We will see.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Wow! You sound like your in tip top shape. I wish I was like that. Every single document has been a chore and a problem. Its been a very frustrating experience for me. There is too many little discrepancies Im afraid they will pin on me.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

I hear ya< i have the one discrepancy and worried. Hang in there, Im sure it will all work out in the end for ya!! Then you will visit Italy, flashing ur Italian passport, and it all would have been worth it in the end. :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I hope so. My application is a bit like swiss cheese at the moment. Ive reached a point where I say "spend the money, go to your appointment and see what they say " AND " save the money because you dont know if its definitely going to work". I guess its a gamble. With 4 young kids its tough gambling right now!