Documents for citizenship

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
air5plane

Documents for citizenship

Post by air5plane »

I have (I think) the necessary documents for dual citizenship but in talking to another member I need certified copies. The records I have have a stamp stating "for genealogical purposes only". Is that good enough to apply for citizenship? I still need to get some of them translated.

Thanks for any help.

Tina
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Re: Documents for citizenship

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Sorry Tina, but the consulates require official copies w/ a raised seal. They also will require you to have an apostille attached to each doc. The Apostille makes a US doc valid in Italy. But on the plus side, you'll be able to make sure you actually qualify with the docs you have :)
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
air5plane

Post by air5plane »

How do I request a certified copy of a birth, marriage and death certificate?

Thanks,

Tina
air5plane

Post by air5plane »

Also, I have my parents original document that they were sent from Michigan when they got married. Will I have to forfeit that document in the process of dual citizenship?

Thanks,

Tina
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bene2950 »

Tina
If you are applying for the marriage certificate in Michigan, the website is: www.michigan.gov/vitalrecords That will give you all the information you need for Michigan birth, marriage, and death certificates. If you get a certified copy of the marriage certificate you will not have to forfeit the document you have. They will do the apostille at the same time. Make sure you request the apostille when you order the certificates.
air5plane

Post by air5plane »

bene2950 wrote:Tina
If you are applying for the marriage certificate in Michigan, the website is: www.michigan.gov/vitalrecords That will give you all the information you need for Michigan birth, marriage, and death certificates. If you get a certified copy of the marriage certificate you will not have to forfeit the document you have. They will do the apostille at the same time. Make sure you request the apostille when you order the certificates.
bene2950,

Thanks for the Michigan information. I went through the whole ordering process and at no time does it say they have the record I am looking for. That's a lot of trust to give them for $67.25. (unbelievable) Any suggestions?

Tina
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bene2950 »

I had very good dealings with them. They even called me because I had the wrong date and took care of it over the phone. It really worked for me. Did you have them do the apostille at the same time.
air5plane

Post by air5plane »

I have a "marriage booklet" that my mom gave me so I have the correct names and date, it's just that if I want it delivered in a secure way (UPS) then I have to pay an additional $19+ for shipping.

Tina
bene2950
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bene2950 »

I have used regular mail on all my documents. Have spent over $500 so far. Still more to go. Have fun doing your research.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao Tina,

It's an expensive process. I've spent over $1,000 so far and have more to go yet. The most expensive part for you will probably be the translations. It really just depends on how much Italian Citizenship is worth to you, it does take a lot of money and time.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany