Writing to Italy

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
stargazer200529
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 17:39

Writing to Italy

Post by stargazer200529 »

I am trying to write a letter to Italy to request my
Great Grandfather's birth certificate
his marriage certificate
his wife's birth certificate
and her mother's death certificate.

This is what I have, please let me know if this makes sense. I have taken a few years of Italian, but I am not fluent.

Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, James Battisto LaGalante nel comune di Casamassima. Lui era nato il 31 Ottobre 1886 e fu un orfano. Sposo' Vita Maria Fortunato nel Febbraio 1907. Maria nata nel Juglio 1895. La sua madre, Cassandra Lusca, e' morta prima della loro nozze.

Vi sarei molto grato poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di James LaGalante e Vita Maria Fortunato. Inotre, bisogno di certificato di unione ed il certificato di morte per Cassandra Lusca.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura.
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by Italysearcher »

I always put the individual items in the form of a list so there is not mistake about what I want.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
User avatar
stargazer200529
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 17:39

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by stargazer200529 »

So my Italian makes sense? I was worried about grammar issues.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by adelfio »

Did you try the family search films for Casamassima/Province Bari already?

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
stargazer200529
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 17:39

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by stargazer200529 »

Yes I have searched through their films.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by adelfio »

There are two people from Family Search researching the Fortunato name from Casamassima Italy they have some info going back to the late 1700's
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
stargazer200529
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 13 Oct 2010, 17:39

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by stargazer200529 »

I will take a look, I am sure it will be difficult to find a match given that her name is pretty common.

I would still like to get this letter sent, but before I do, I want to make sure my Italian is understandable.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by adelfio »

I have had better luck going to the Church than writing to civil comune records Im still waiting on one letter from about 2 months good luck on your quest

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Writing to Italy

Post by adelfio »

I was wondering have you ever looked on this site
http://www.casamassima.net/advancedguestbook/index.php
Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Post Reply