Surname Amici

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bella4

Surname Amici

Post by bella4 »

Surname Amici
I am looking for more information on Antonio Amici and Frances (Bosoni) Amici. They came to US from Sezze, Italy. I have found them on the 1920 and 1930 census. I think I have found the ship manifest for Antonio. This is as much info as I have been able to gather. They were my great-grandparents. My grandmother passed away a few years ago so I can't ask for more info. Antonio was born 9/15/1875. He died Oct.1966. I don't know when Frances was born...her death was 1955 or 1956. I don't know of any siblings for either of them.
thanks for any suggestions you might have as to find out more.
Bella4
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Surname Amici

Post by wldspirit »

You must have the town name and approximate date of birth to begin research in Italy for your ancestors. All records of birth, marriage, death and baptism are kept in the town of origin. When sending for these records you can uncover parents names, as well as siblings by requesting a stato di famiglia originario, which documents all members of the family past and present, including those who moved away or died.
First things first, do you know for certain the town of origin?
Have you checked the Lds site for microfilmed records of the town?
Have you checked obituaries, death certificates, naturalization papers, social security papers, consulted local parish?
Were your grandparents married in the states or Italy?........
consulting these documents can provide you with additional key info.
The census may give date of naturalization and year of immigration......if you give info on where they lived and which state....someone here can look at these census for clues..........and may be able to pinpoint your grandmothers manifest.
I am still a "rookie"..........so this is not a complete thread until someone with more experience comes in..... :oops:

wldspirit
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Bella,
Please only post your question in one place. It will make easier for people to help you and not duplicate answers and work.

Debbie
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

bella4 wrote:Surname Amici
I am looking for more information on Antonio Amici and Frances (Bosoni) Amici. They came to US from Sezze, Italy. I have found them on the 1920 and 1930 census. I think I have found the ship manifest for Antonio. This is as much info as I have been able to gather. They were my great-grandparents. My grandmother passed away a few years ago so I can't ask for more info. Antonio was born 9/15/1875. He died Oct.1966. I don't know when Frances was born...her death was 1955 or 1956. I don't know of any siblings for either of them.
thanks for any suggestions you might have as to find out more.
Bella4
Hi Bella,

Wildspirit asked you some very good questions such as do you have any death certificates or marriage certificates, etc.

According to the 1920 and 1930 census, Francesca (Frances) was born about 1887.

Now if you know the cemetery where Antonio is buried, you can call them and ask for the information about the dates as well as find out about when Frances died. Then you can send away for their death certificates which may have their parents names on it.

The census are a little confusing for your family for in the 1930 census, it stated they both came to the USA in 1908. In the 1920 Census, it stated Antonio came in 1905 and Frances came in 1912.

Also, per the census, Antonio was not naturalized till after 1930. He was still listed as an Alien.

The other thing I found interesting is that Antonio and Frances were married about 1914, but they also could have been married before especially Antonio since he is much older than her. Which leads me to the possible ship's manifest of of 1910 where it there is an Antonio coming from Sezze who is born abt 1877 and who left his wife, Teresa in Italy.

The more information and documentation you get, the more you can narrow down dates, names, and other important information.

One last note, there are two different towns of Sezze listed that have microfilm. Here is the link from the Family History Center.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... prePARTOF=

I hope this is all of some help to you.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
bella4

Post by bella4 »

Thank you everyone for your help. I do not have any birth, marriage or death certificates for either of them. I do not know where they were married.
Trish, I did find the ship manifest like you did and thought it was alittle strange with the name Teresa listed for wife.
I also thought the ages listed on the 1930 census for 1st marriage was a bit odd.
I never thought of calling the cemetary where they are buried. I have received the phone number and will pursue that.
Has anyone ever received a copy of a social security card application for a deceased relative to try to find out more info that way? For instance, Ancestry's website states the application might have parents names listed, town of birth etc. It does cost $27 and I don't know if it would have much info on it to use for research.
thanks,Bella
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

bella4 wrote:Thank you everyone for your help. I do not have any birth, marriage or death certificates for either of them. I do not know where they were married.
Trish, I did find the ship manifest like you did and thought it was alittle strange with the name Teresa listed for wife.
I also thought the ages listed on the 1930 census for 1st marriage was a bit odd.
I never thought of calling the cemetary where they are buried. I have received the phone number and will pursue that.
Has anyone ever received a copy of a social security card application for a deceased relative to try to find out more info that way? For instance, Ancestry's website states the application might have parents names listed, town of birth etc. It does cost $27 and I don't know if it would have much info on it to use for research.
thanks,Bella
Hi Bella,

The Social Security Application is a hit or miss thing. It's supposed to have all the information you mentioned, but like anything else, it all depends on the person that was filling out the application.

If you don't mind spending the money, I would try to write for it. The form letter on Ancestry is an excellent letter to use.

The other thing, I would try to write for a Marriage Certificate from the town of Mohawk or Montgomery County. Search the Internet for their address and write to them. Give them a 5 year span.

I hope this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

The manifest of 1910 is an interesting one... where it mentions the wife Teresa Polinaro.... in Italy.

brujaojos wrote...
The other thing I found interesting is that Antonio and Frances were married about 1914, but they also could have been married before especially Antonio since he is much older than her. Which leads me to the possible ship's manifest of of 1910 where it there is an Antonio coming from Sezze who is born abt 1877 and who left his wife, Teresa in Italy.
I did a search of the Polinaro name, and sure enough, Lidano Polinaro is going to brother in law Antonio Amici 's home... and in 1906 too!

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2203120210

First Name: Lidano
Last Name: Polinaro
Ethnicity: Italy-So. Italian
Last Place of Residence: Sezze
Date of Arrival: April 04, 1906
Age at Arrival:  36y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Madonna
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0030

So now we have an assumed brother for Teresa? Antonio's first wife maybe?

Or the wrong Antonio Amici manifest all together???

mfjp

other name variations...
Bassoni,Davido Ubaroto, Italy 1913 20  
Bozzoni,Teresa Bella, Italy 1911 39
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Ciao!
Here's an update on what I've been able to find. Unfortunately, I seem to be at a standstill.
I got copies of Antonio Amici and Frances Bosoni's Death Certificates. Here's their information:
Antonio Amici -born 9/15/1875 died-9/18/1966
Mother-Theresa (no last name)
Father- Gaetano Amici
Frances Bosoni-born 6/15/1885 died-3/19/1956
Mother-Theresa Giachina
Father- Luigi Bosoni
I cannot find any information on the surnames Bosoni and Giachina, I have tried several websites to find these surnames. Nothing comes up at Familysearch either. How do I find out more information on these family members when Antonio and Frances were the only ones who came over here? My mother has no papers etc. to refer to for more info. I would be grateful for any help.
thanks,
bella

**Bella, please limit your postings to one thread, easier to follow.......and in this way other posters can keep track of where your at in regard to research.
wldspirit :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Searching for manifest for Bosoni, sounds like.......

http://aolsvc.ellisisland.aol.com/searc ... &dwpdone=1

exact match Bosoni,

http://aolsvc.ellisisland.aol.com/searc ... &dwpdone=1

On an interesting note....I also pulled up Giachina on the ellis island site.

Have you considered sending for the naturalization papers?

If you are sure of the town name you could try sending for birth extracts
and a stato di famiglia storico, it documents not those present at a given time but all members of the family, past and present, including those who moved away or died.
I highly recommend Trafford R. Cole's book, " Italian Genealogical Records".
This book will explain in great detail Italian record keeping and how to go about requesting records. It is a fast, easy read.
wldspirit
bella4

Post by bella4 »

thank you everyone for your help recently. I have ordered film from FHL iin salt lake and was told it will be 2-3 weeks for delivery. I ordered the dates for Antonio and Frances' births. I'm also wondering if I should have ordered some dates for marriages to look at. Would this be the next step?
Also, what information might I gain if I send for the naturalization records of Antonio? I already have his parents' names. Would it tell the date of marriage and to whom he is married?
Frances never became a U.S. citizen. On her death certificate is says she is a citizen of Italy.
bella
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here is a link to Nara. You can read about the different types of records, what infos they contain and how to go about ordering them.

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/genealogy/

wldspirit
bella4

Post by bella4 »

Hi everyone,
I'm still waiting for the records from Salt Lake. However, I have called about naturalization papers for Anthony and there are none. Where do I go from here??
Also, some people on this message board have said that Frances and Anthony were married 1913/1914.
The other thing I found interesting is that Antonio and Frances were married about 1914, but they also could have been married before especially Antonio since he is much older than her. .
Can anyone tell me how you found out this? What am I missing?
thanks,
bella
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Bella,

Don't let a negative reply from NARA stop you from looking. You can file a freedom of information request with the INS. The information is a little confusing, but I think that this type of FOIA request is under their privacy laws. You may have to prove the person is deceased and you are a decendant.

Due to changes in law they have a copy of all declarations of intent and naturalizations that occured after 1906. If your folks were not naturalized they would have to register with the INS as aliens beginning in the 1940's (think it was 1942). You can request a copy of this as well. INS isn't fast. Has taken me 3 - 6 months for requests to be answered, but I have gotten some good information. I have found alot of information on this subject using google.

Here is the governemt site:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

Debbie
bella4

Post by bella4 »

Hi everyone,
I was able to find a birth registry for Antonio. Does anyone know how I can find someone to translate it for me? I can only make out alittle bit. Under his name is a stamp of a marriage but the name is not my g-grandmother's.
Also, I can't find my g-grandmother's birth registry. On her obituary and death certificate it says her date of birth is June 15, 1885. How would I find out the right date? I do have her parents' names.
thanks,
bella :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If you can provide a copy and post it here at the forum, I'm sure someone will help to translate it for you.
wldspirit