Marriage During Lent?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Zengac

Marriage During Lent?

Post by Zengac »

I recently obtained a copy of my great great grandparents marriage certificate (see attached) from Castelbuono, Italy (near Palermo). I was also lucky enough to find a photograph of the couple on their wedding day. I was told that they married on or about March 21, 1868 by the professional genealogist who found the record for me. Because she is a pro, I have to believe the date is accurate (I cannot read the certificate at all).

I want to know what a typical wedding would have been like at that time (reading suggestions welcome! :D ) so I began some research and found that the Roman Catholic church generally forbade weddings during Lent. Further research revealed that Lent began on February 26th in 1868, with Easter falling on April 12, 1868. That would mean that my ancestors married right in the middle of Lent. What would be a possible reason for this? Would they have had to obtain special permission from the Church? I'm intrigued as to why my ancestors may have broken tradition.
Cherry
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Marriage During Lent?

Post by Cherry »

She might have been pregnant or they might have had a "fuitina" which then obliged to a quick wedding (or an everlasting shame).

Cherry
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
normally weddings are not prohibited during Lent, but solemn blessing is normally prohibited in Advent and Lent .
You can get married but do not receive the solemn blessing because,first,it was done outside the church and during advent and lent is "time of penance" .
I hope is more clear.

regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
Zengac

Post by Zengac »

Thank you both ... nazca, would not receiving the solemn blessing be something customary or somewhat unusual for that time period?
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

hi,
yes it was unusual for that time period.

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).