Antonio Russo born 1887 - looking for more information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Antonio Russo born 1887 - looking for more information

Post by rjrdomer »

In researching my family history I learned that my great-grandfather had 4 brothers. I have been able to trace the whereabouts of all of them except for one, Antonio Russo.

Antonio (Anthony) Russo was born in 1887. He may have been born in Brooklyn, NY or may have been born in Teggiano, Italy. He was the son of Cono Russo and Concetta D'Elia. He married Filomena (Fannie) Trupiano in Brooklyn, NY in 1909. They had 3 children. The oldest son was named Cono born in 1916 and he died in 1978 in Elmont, NY. There were daughters named Nunzia (Nancy) and Concetta as well.

His wife passed away in 1924 and is buried in St. Johns Cemetery in Queens, NY with Anthony's parents. But Anthony is not there. The last I was able to find was the 1930 census where he lived at 185 Bayard Street in a building owned by his in-laws. I am anxiously awaiting the 1940 census, but if anyone knows this family or how I can proceed, please reply or email me rjrusso @ gmail.com.

I looked at SS records for any Anthony or Antonio Russos within a few years of his birth that had a death filed in the SSDI and they came back with nothing. Same goes for NYC deaths prior to 1948. I also searched for an obituary for his son Cono Russo in 1978 but found nothing.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Russo born 1887 - looking for more information

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The online SSDI begins with deaths somewhat after the mid 1960's. You can still order a copy of the SS-5 Social Security Application form if you are willing to pay the $18 or $29 fee. http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Russo Antonio Sep 10 1908 Kings certificate # 6871
Trupiano Filomena Sep 10 1908 6871 Kings

marriage information

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... iage.shtml

to order the marriage certificate

sometimes the Brooklyn marriage certificates have the city of birth in Italy; sometimes they just have the province or say Italy on them
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Thanks, I requested a copy of the SS-5 in the event he died in the 1950s or early 1960s (which could very well be the case). Maybe they'll come back with something and maybe I'll have a little more to go on.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

It's interesting. I have the copy of the marriage certificate. There were 2 filed. One in 1908 and the other in 1909. One at Brooklyn Borough Hall that said he was born in the US. The other one issued by the city but filled out by the priest at their church said he was born in Italy.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If the parish is still in existence, it could have his exact place of birth in its registers. My husband's cousin got a marriage record from a church in Manhattan, which only had Italy on it. She needed the town name, so she wrote back and asked if that information was in the parish registers. Sure enough, the parish had the name of the Italian town. So, if the church still exists, give it a try.
rjrdomer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjrdomer »

Yes, I can try that. It still exists.