Looking for Elusive Manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Looking for Elusive Manifest

Post by lilbees »

I have been searching off and on for some years looking for the ship's manifest for the Virzi family.

According to the census information their arrival was 1900. Going from ? (port unknown) to New York? Boston? Canada? destination Chicago, Illinois.

The listing of the family:

Giuseppe Virzi b. 1865 Termini Imerese
Angela Maria Rescigno b. 1874 (wife) Naples
Augustina "Christina" Virzi b. 1892 Tunisia
Marie Genevieve Virzi b. 1895 Tunisia
Angelina Virzi b. 1896 Tunisia
Francesco Virzi b. 1897 Tunisia
Alphonzino Salvatore Virzi b. 1898 Tunisia
Mary Beatrice Virzi b. Oct. 1899 Tunisia

There were several children born after their arrival:

Rosalie b. 1903 Chicago
Anthony b. 1904 Chicago
Salvatore b. 1905 Chicago

One sister and one brother of Angela Maria accompanied them as well:

Giovanni Pietro (Pierre) Rescigno b. 1898 Tunisia
Genevieve Rescigno b. 1892 Tunisia

I have tried to search late 1899 through May of 1900. The 1910 U.S. census taken June 1910 shows the family living with Giuseppe's father Alfonso Virzi.

You would think looking for a group like this would be easy but not really. Still can't find any of them. Any help would be appreciated from anyone.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Elusive Manifest

Post by lilbees »

I recently learned from a note written by a grandaughter, Maria returned to Tunisia for a baptism a month or so after their arrival in the U.S. She then returned to the U.S. about late 1900 or early 1901 or so. The brother and sister may have accompanied her at that time.

This note also explains why she is not on the 1900 census with her husband Giuseppe nor are her younger brother and sister.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Here's possibility, name misspelled, Giuseppe's age transcribed incorrectly on Ellis as 25
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026

16 May 1900, SS Massilia, Napls to NY
lines 26-30
last residence Termini
destination Chicago
joining father at 177 Taylor St

Giuseppe Vizzi 35, abt 1865
wife Angela 26, abt 1874
*son Agostino 7, abt 1893
*son Angelo 3, abt 1897
*son Alfonso 2, abt 1898

*note: difficult to determine whether children are male or female
used 'M' and 'W' instead of 'M' and 'F'
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

That is part of the family. Will check if there is another page that the others are listed on.

VJ, you do perform miracles for us all.

Thank you so much.

lilbees
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

lilbees
I'm so glad we could find this one :D
There were quite a few errors in the way it was written and transcribed
lilbees wrote:...Will check if there is another page that the others are listed on...
Here's the next manifest page from ancestry
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1686/1900w.jpg
Valarie
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Found a few more of the children including the brother of Angela. Still missing one though. "Francesco".

One was listed with the last name "brother" and another with Virri. Will go through the manifest to see if I can find the other.

VJ, I can't thank you enough. This one has bugged me for a long...........time.

Now I have to find Angela's return trip from Tunisia after the baptism. Had it not been for finding Angela's family (current generation) out west, I would have not knows a great deal. I also learned that Giovanni Pietro returned to Tunisia along with his sister (Angela's younger sister). When he turned 18 he joined up with the French and was killed in Algeria soon after. What a shame to die so young.

But, it is wonderful to find all these wonderful cousins that I never knew.

Thank you again,

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Okay, is there a chance there may be a page missing on this manifest? Going through the manifest page by page I can find no other children listed. Could it be they didn't bother to write them all down?

I know they were all here in June 1900. Take that back, Angela and her child Francesco were not on that census. They were the only missing people. On the ships' manifest her brother and sister were listed as Rizzi (Rescigno) on the first page. I found the brother by typing in the last name as "brother" and it came up.

Checked Angela's sister's home and other family members who lived in Chicago at that time and found nothing. Again, going page by page through the census for each.

How frustrating! :(

lilbees