Document Age

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Document Age

Post by DJP1812 »

Hi All,

Quick question about the application process. Has anyone had any problem with the age of documents when applying for dual citizenship? For example, some of my documents will be older than a year old, and some of the apostille's will be as well. If I collect all my documents this year (2011), have them certified and apostilled and do not apply until 2012. Will there be an issue?

Thanks,
D
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Document Age

Post by Rodio »

I applied jure sanguinis in LA in '09 with documents and apostilles that were up to 4 years old--the consulate had no problem with them. I do know for the jure matrimoni application, some documents (FBI and possibly police clearances) do expire after a few months.

If you are applying jure sanguinis, as I assume you are, the age of your docs should not matter.
DJP1812
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DJP1812 »

Thanks for the comment! It seemed wrong when the person from the state department told me that. He was probably being safe.

-D
jgenduso
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jgenduso »

Actually an un-apostilled document's age does matter, but not to the consulate. In a lot of states, you can not get them apostilled after a time period (like 6 months). So if you wait 7 months after you get a doc or have an orginial one from x years ago and try to get an apostille, the state might reject you.

I hope that helps,

Joseph
Joseph F Genduso, PMP, MEng, MBA

Researching Genduso, Lo Re, Cagnina, Gallina, Mancuso, Mazzarisi, Panzica, Fratallone and Trombello in Resuttano (CL), Sicily