Trying to find information for a Giuseppe Digaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Trying to find information for a Giuseppe Digaro

Post by maestra36 »

I went through the baptism indices for 1881 to 1904 which are on the beta website-for the parish in Corleone. The children's baptisms are indexed under the letter C with either Di or De out in the margin. These are the children I found born to Joseph and Audenzia:

1. Di Caro, Catharina- Jan 15, 1882

2. Di Caro, Vincent-June 17, 1883

3. Di Caro, Joseph Feb 16, 1885

4. De Cara, Giuseppa (Josephine) Feb 13, 1887

5. De Caro, Nicola June 10, 1888

6. Di Caro, Nicola June 30, 1889

7. Di Caro, Carolus (Carl) Aug 9, 1893

8. De Cara, Concepta (Concetta)-Aug 4, 1895

9. De Cara, Xavier-May 5, 1898

I didn't check the indexes for the preceding or following years. You can do that now that you know how the names are indexed under the letter C and not under the letter D.

You can also see how the last name varied in spelling from one child's record to the next. I typed what was in the indexes.

To get you started in finding the record copies, the first two records are with the baptisms for 1879-1883 images 193 (record #36) and image 308 (record #292) of 354 images.
htbrown1953
Rookie
Rookie

Post by htbrown1953 »

maestra36,

Thanks for all of your help.

I found a website where you can look up the brides and grooms that were married in New York.

Here's a link to that website:
http://www.genealogybranches.com/newyork.html

I checked to see if a Joseph De Caro was married after 1900 and I found several Joseph De Caro's that had been married, but none of them had a bride named Theresa Panaro or Theresa Panari.

If marriage records in other states are similar to the ones here in Illinois then the bride and groom had to provide information about their parents names on the marriage application.

Illinois started requiring this about 1900 or so.

If other states also required this parents information on the marriage license application then it would be a big help in doing family history research.

Here's a link to the marriage license records database for the state of Illinois.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/depar ... riage.html

The database only goes barely into the 1900's to prevent identity theft occurring for any individuals that might still be alive.

I checked the Illinois marriage license database and I found only one De Caro that had been married since 1900.

Here's that information:
Groom: DE CARO, JAMES
Bride: ERICKSON, MARY GERTIE
Year of Marriage: 1914-07-14
Volume/Page: /
License Number: 704
County: STEPHENSON

I'll keep looking and see if they might have gotten married in some other state other than New York.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

DeCara Giuseppe Apr 17 1913 Manhattan certificate # 9427

Panara Teresa Apr 17 1913 certificate # 9427 Manhattan

Their marriage info and certificate # from the NYC municipal archives.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... iage.shtml
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

This is the civil marriage record date. The date in the margin of the baptism record of June 15, 1913 is the date of the church wedding at Mt Carmel on 115th Street in Manhattan.
htbrown1953
Rookie
Rookie

Post by htbrown1953 »

Maestra36,

Just on a hunch I tried that New York marriage records website once again, but this time I entered in the name of Giuseppe De Garo and it came up with the correct marriage records.

Here's that groom information:

Surname: DeCara
Given Name: Giuseppe
Month of Marriage: Apr
Day of Marriage: 17
Year of Marriage: 1913
County: Manhattan
Certificate Number: 9427
Soundex: D260

Here's the bride information:

Surname: Panara
Given Name: Teresa
Month of Marriage: Apr
Day of Marriage: 17
Year of Marriage: 1913
County: Manhattan
Certificate Number: 9427
Soundex: P560

Now I'm going to see if I can get a copy of this marriage license.

I'll let you know if I have any luck.
htbrown1953
Rookie
Rookie

Post by htbrown1953 »

maestra36,

You beat me to the punch with the information about the marriage records.

I guess I'll have to type faster next time. :)

I'll check the other links that you provided and see where they lead me.

Thanks.
htbrown1953
Rookie
Rookie

Post by htbrown1953 »

maestra36,

I was browsing through other entries on this website and I came across an entry from a user that goes by the username blackZ06

Here's a link to that website page:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/Forums/ ... 03199.html

I sent an e-mail to the guy that I was looking all of this information up for and urged him to come and join this website so that he can try to get in touch with blackZ06 and compare family histories to see if they are related or not.

Most of the information for this Nickola De Caro. that blackZ06 was given by others on this website. matches up with the information that you and others found for Giuseppe Digaro.

I thought that you and the others might like to read that other information.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

My friend Luca on this forum has confirmed that the information I posted earlier on this thread from Joseph's Latin baptism record was correct. Joseph's parents, according to his baptism record, were from Sambuca, as were his godparents in the record. The godparents in the record were brother and sister (probably of Joseph's mother as well, since they had the same last name as her). The godmother was unmarried.

Since his parents were from Sambuca, this is the reason why there is no marriage record for them among the Corleone church records on the familysearch beta site. Their marriage record can be obtained from microfilm-

Matrimoni 1864-1910 -- Atti diversi 1862-1865 -- Memorandum 1862-1865 -- Cittadinanze 1866-1906 -- Morti 1866-1873 FHL INTL Film 2015715

from Registri dello stato civile di Sambuca di Sicilia (Agrigento), 1821-1929
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Definitely the same family.

htbrown1953 wrote:maestra36,

I was browsing through other entries on this website and I came across an entry from a user that goes by the username blackZ06

Here's a link to that website page:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/Forums/ ... 03199.html

I sent an e-mail to the guy that I was looking all of this information up for and urged him to come and join this website so that he can try to get in touch with blackZ06 and compare family histories to see if they are related or not.

Most of the information for this Nickola De Caro. that blackZ06 was given by others on this website. matches up with the information that you and others found for Giuseppe Digaro.

I thought that you and the others might like to read that other information.
htbrown1953
Rookie
Rookie

Post by htbrown1953 »

maestra36,

Thanks for the additional information about the microfilm record for the great grandparents from Sambuca.

There is a Family History Center in Mattoon, Illinois.

Here's the information for that Family History Center:

Family History Centers in Coles County, Illinois, United States

Mattoon Illinois
7426 Country Club Rd
Mattoon, Coles County, Illinois, United States
Phone: 217-234-3362
Hours: Wednesday 6:30 pm-8:00 pm; Sunday 12:30 pm-2:00 pm
Closed: Closed 1 week in March, two weeks in December, major holidays.

Either I or my co-worker will try to get a look at the microfilm records and see what additional information it provides.

Thanks for all of your help.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You're very welcome. You and your friend now have some really good leads to get further back in the ancestry of this family.
Peg
htbrown1953
Rookie
Rookie

Post by htbrown1953 »

I've gotten the rolls of microfilm from the local Mormon Family History Center and I copied the marriage certificate for Giuseppe De Cara and Teresa Panara.

Here's a link to that marriage certificate:
http://img18.imageshack.us/f/giuseppede ... iager.jpg/

The marriage certificate shows the parents of the groom were Giuseppe De Cara and Maria Forugia.

The marriage certificate shows the parents of the bride were Antonio Panara and Caterina Teta.

The other roll of microfilm that I got trying to look up the parents marriage records were in either Latin or Italian and I don't read or understand any language except for English.

It looks like the Latin or Italian microfilm roll has just got page numbers, I didn't see what looked like certificate numbers on any of the pages.

Does anyone know where I might find out what record to look for on this roll of microfilm to find these parents marriage records?

These parents would be Giuseppe De Cara and Maria Forugia and Antonio Panara and Caterina Teta.

Thanks in advance for your help.
htbrown1953
Rookie
Rookie

Post by htbrown1953 »

After looking at the name of the mother of the groom some more I now think that her name was Maria Ferrugia and not Maria Forugia, as I had written earlier.
htbrown1953
Rookie
Rookie

Post by htbrown1953 »

I have found a marriage record that I think is for a couple that might be the great grandparents of a former co-worker of mine.

I was helping him find his ancestors that came over to the U.S. from Italy in the early 1900's.

The groom's name was Joseph Di Caro and the bride's name was Audentia Fiducia.

Here's a link to the marriage record that I found:
http://img405.imageshack.us/f/marriager ... oseph.jpg/

You can enlarge the picture by clicking on the picture after the website is finished loading.

I used my Photoshop software to insert an arrow into the picture and it's pointing next to the record that I think is for Joseph Di Caro and Audentia Fiducia.

The marriage record should be number 356.

I need someone to read the record and translate it into English so I can verify if this record is for Joseph Di Caro and Audentia Fiducia.

Here's a link to the actual website page where I found this record:
www.familysearch.org/s...PRagg%253D

The marriage record, number 356, is on the left side of the two pages and it's at the bottom of the page.

You can enlarge the image on the website by clicking on the arrow that you'll see on the bottom right hand side of the page.

It'll look like a smaller version of the larger page that you're looking at.

You move around this page by moving the yellowish orange rectangle around on the smaller version of the larger page.

Here's a link to a picture of the index for the marriage record for Joseph Di Caro and Audentia Fiducia:
http://img407.imageshack.us/f/italycath ... hreco.jpg/

You can enlarge the picture by clicking on the picture after the website has finished loading.

I inserted an arrow into the picture and it's pointing next to the name of Joseph Di Caro and Audentia Fuducia.

Here's a link to the index page for this marriage record:
www.familysearch.org/s...PRagg%253D

The index record for Joseph Di Caro and Audentia Fiducia is located on the left side of the page and it's the fourth entry up from the bottom of the page.

You can enlarge the image on the website by clicking on the arrow that you'll see on the bottom right hand side of the page.

It'll look like a smaller version of the larger page that you're looking at.

You move around this page by moving the yellowish orange rectangle around on the smaller version of the larger page.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

===============================================
===============================================

More information for all of you who helped me in finding this information about Giuseppe Digaro:

A member of this message board, username: Liviomoreno, provided me with the correct reading of the Latin marriage record, see my post listed above, that I found for Joseph Di Caro and Audentia Fiducia.

Here's that information:

The 356 number in the index refers to the page number, not to the record number.

The record you are looking for is #1054 and can be found here;

https://www.familysearch.org/s/image/sh ... PRagg%253D

The marriage record will be located on the top left side of the page.

The marriage was celebrated on November 23, 1879.

Joseph De Caro was son of the deceased Vincentius (Vincenzo) and of the living Catharina Capizzo from Palermo.

Audentia Fiducia was daughter of Joseph (Giuseppe) and Josepha (Giuseppa) Corso from Sambuca(?).

So now I'll pass this information along to my former co-worker and to another member of this message board forum that was also looking for a couple with the same names.

Thanks once again to all of you for any help that you provided with this.

Henry