Hi,
This week I posted some topics here, but now I read about a law of the citizenship and I really don't understand it. I hope somebody can help me. This is my situation:
The grandfather (1882) and grandmother (1894) of my mom (1956) were both italians. Neither my mom or my grandparents (1928 aprox.) were italians.
I just read that there are some complications in the "mother-side"...will I be able to apply for the italian citizenship? I'm scared!! I want it so much!
thanks!
Understading the law correctly...help!
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Understading the law correctly...help!
Who are you applying through?
Re: Understading the law correctly...help!
through the grandfather of my mom. Is there any difference if I apply through her grandmother?
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Understading the law correctly...help!
Ok so your applying through your great grandfather right? Who is next in line a grandmother or grandfather and then who after that? Please give years of birth. The issue is women couldnt pass on citizenship until after 1948 so Im trying to clarify who your direct line is
Re: Understading the law correctly...help!
Great grandfather, exactly.
Let me explain it a little more "grafically".
My mother (Argentinian, born 1956)
- Her father (argentinan, 1928)
----> His father (argentinan, don't know the year)
----> His mother (argentinan, don't know the year either)
- Her mother (argentinian, 1930 aprox.)
----> Her mother (born 1894, italian)
----> Her father (born 1882, italian
I don't know if it's a little bit clearer now...I hope so! Thank you!
Let me explain it a little more "grafically".
My mother (Argentinian, born 1956)
- Her father (argentinan, 1928)
----> His father (argentinan, don't know the year)
----> His mother (argentinan, don't know the year either)
- Her mother (argentinian, 1930 aprox.)
----> Her mother (born 1894, italian)
----> Her father (born 1882, italian
I don't know if it's a little bit clearer now...I hope so! Thank you!
- DeFilippis78
- Master

- Posts: 1144
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19
Re: Understading the law correctly...help!
You would have to apply through the great grandfather born in 1882. The great grandmother couldnt have passed it on. Then from there it can go through your grandmother or grandfather because your mother was born in 1956. It sounds confusing, I know. Maybe someone can clarify this for me.
GGF born 1882
GF or GM born 1920s?
Mother born 1956
You
The issue now would be finding out if your great grandfather became a citizen before your grandparents were born.
GGF born 1882
GF or GM born 1920s?
Mother born 1956
You
The issue now would be finding out if your great grandfather became a citizen before your grandparents were born.
Re: Understading the law correctly...help!
ooh okey, I understand.
So now I have to find out that...my God! This is too difficult... Let me see if I get it right, my great grandfather had to become citizen before or after my grandparents were born to apply myself to the citizenship?
So now I have to find out that...my God! This is too difficult... Let me see if I get it right, my great grandfather had to become citizen before or after my grandparents were born to apply myself to the citizenship?
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Understading the law correctly...help!
Your 1882 great-grandfather must have still had his Italian citizenship on the day that your 1930 grandmother was born.
If that is the case, then your 1930 grandmother inheritied Italian citizeship and was able to pass it on to her children born on or after January 1, 1948, which would include your mother, born 1956.
If that is the case, then your 1930 grandmother inheritied Italian citizeship and was able to pass it on to her children born on or after January 1, 1948, which would include your mother, born 1956.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Understading the law correctly...help!
thank you all for the replies!
I'm very happy now because my mother says that my grandmother had never been naturalized agentinian (i don't know if that sentence is correct...i hope you understand). So, my great grandfather was italian when my grandmother was born.
I can apply for the citizenship! Right?
I'm very happy now because my mother says that my grandmother had never been naturalized agentinian (i don't know if that sentence is correct...i hope you understand). So, my great grandfather was italian when my grandmother was born.
I can apply for the citizenship! Right?
