1890 NYC Police Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

1890 NYC Police Census

Post by sforza »

Hi,
I'm looking for my GGGPs who lived on Elizabeth Street in NYC in 1890. They arrived too late to be included in the 1880 fed census, and were both dead by the 1900 fed census. And as we know, barely any 1890 fed census records survived the fire... So, I've been to the NYC municipal archives where I consulted the 1890 Police Census index and pulled the film that was supposed to cover their block of Elizabeth Street (as derived from my GGGF's naturalization doc dated 1890), but after several viewings, I've decided that Elizabeth Street is just not on that film.
My question: have the 1890 NYC police census records been digitized? From what I could tell, the LDS microfilmed only a tiny portion of the municipal archives' 1890 police census documents. But I wanted to check to make sure I'm not missing something. Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: 1890 NYC Police Census

Post by PeterTimber »

88% of 1890 NYC Police census has been preserved.
Go to www.genealogybranches.com/1890nycensus.html

scroll down to NYC census records 1825-1925 on first page and click for more precise indices. =Peter=
~Peter~
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Thanks Peter. I guess the question now is whether the LDS microfilm is different than the archives microfilm. I'll order and find out.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Sforza please keep us informed so that we can verify my findings and your research. =Peter=
~Peter~
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Will do. If there are more complete Police Census records on the LDS microfilm, it won't be the first time the LDS has film of NYC archived documents that the archives itself doesn't have- ie, stuff must get lost over there as time goes by.