Mercieri Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ItalianBelgian

Mercieri Surname

Post by ItalianBelgian »

I have been doing some research into my mother's side of the family and have recently come across the surname Mercieri, I was looking at this name before discovering it hence why I am so interested. I believe that it is an Italian surname because it is shown on 'gens.labo.net', on 'familysearch.org' all people listed as having it are Italian by birth or nationality and becasue on 'worldnames.publicprofiler' it is listed as being in Italy and the US alone.
If anyone could tell me about the origins and meaning of this surname it would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Miles.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Mercieri Surname

Post by adelfio »

If you go back on some older posts Nuccia explained about Italian surnames
come from
Personal names Di ???son of ?
Nicknames like Rossi (red) Piccolo (small)
Geographic origins what part of Italy
Vocations like Sartoni (tailor) Masiero (farmer) Mastro (teacher)
then the changes done by the churches from Italain to latin

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

The surname Mercieri is found in Casamassima, Bari, Puglia, Italy.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
ItalianBelgian

Post by ItalianBelgian »

Thanks for the fast replies. My mother's side of the family lived in Flanders, Belgium. This name comes in about 150 years ago, I have been made aware that there is a French surname 'Mercier' that is alot more common in the Flanders region, would anyone be able to tell me wether the surname I discovered 'Mercieri' is an adapted version of the French surname or something different all together? I am finding it very difficult to find anything on the internet and I only discovered this 'Italian' surname because I asked my grandmother about it and she said her grandmother's brother 'Marcel Mercieri' and his father 'Remi Mercieri' had had it, she is 91 years old and I believe it possible that she meant Mercier (French) rather than Mercieri (?) (although the surname was shown to her written down clearly and my grandmother was able to ponder it's significance). In order to clarify slightly would anyone have any kind of details on Italian migration to Flanders and North France and any locations/time periods attributed to it. As I have said there is little to no information for me to work from as there were no records kept, which has and continues to be a tremendous source of frustation. I am aware that this is alot to digest, any polite contribution is more than welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks
Miles.
Investigating the Mercieri family in West Flanders, Belgium, originally from Bari, Puglia
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

? I found a Marie Mercieri born 1887, France. Travelling to Canada in 1909. There could have been Mercieri Families that migrated to France and picked up the French Christian names at Birth?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
ItalianBelgian

Post by ItalianBelgian »

Thanks 'jamiecapaldi'. Do you mind me asking where you found your info on 'Marie Mercieri' as I'm looking all over for these ancestors and only really know familysearch.org. Also do you know if migrant families would change or alter their surnames in order to accomidate for their new country and people? ie. Italy to France: Mercieri to Mercier
Thanks for the help
Miles
Investigating the Mercieri family in West Flanders, Belgium, originally from Bari, Puglia
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is a list of all the persons with that name who came through Ellis island. As you can see many of them came from Turi.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... ECTION=asc

Here is some info on Turi.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/072/047/
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Thanks misbris, Turi is 10 minutes south east of Casamassima
mike1781

Post by mike1781 »

In doing some genealogy research, I found that my great grandmother Marie (Marietta?) Mercieri (her maiden name) emigrated from the Turi area to Ellis Island and then settled in Massachusetts, USA in about 1906. I have not been able to find any records of her parents or her family in Turi. Wondering if anyone else knows some good resources to find information on her background. Thanks!