Italian Citizenship through father's mother's side

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mcoccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Citizenship through father's mother's side

Post by mcoccaro »

Is it accurate to say that you cannot be granted Italian Citizenship through a woman who was born before 1948?
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian Citizenship through father's mother's

Post by hollyolly7 »

No, that's not fully correct. I am getting my italian citizenship more or less like you: me-->F-->GM--->GGF

As long as your grandmother had your father on or after Jan 1 1948, you can still do it.

Here's what I found to confirm this:
"Your mother was born in a country other than Italy, your maternal grandfather was officially recognized as an Italian citizen at the time of her birth, you were born on or after January 1, 1948, and neither you nor your mother ever renounced your right to Italian citizenship."
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

mcoccaro wrote:Is it accurate to say that you cannot be granted Italian Citizenship through a woman who was born before 1948?
In short, it is not the birthdate of the woman which is in question, but rather the birthdate of the woman's child which matters.

A woman inherited Italian citiznehsip form her Italian father no matter when she was born. However, a woman was not able to pass citizenship to her child until the passage of the modern Italian constitution which took effect on January 1, 1948. Prior to that date, Italian citizenship was passed only through the father.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mcoccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcoccaro »

OH yeah see my dad was born in 1922...so I could only then go through his father side?