Nicosia family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
j.sikkens
Rookie
Rookie

Nicosia family

Post by j.sikkens »

Hello.I am looking for any information on the Nicosia family from Sicily.My great grandfather was Giovanni Nicosia he apparently had 18 brothers and sisters I have no names other than knowing that some imigrated to the USA some to Argentina and some stayed in italy.So I believe I have alot of family out there but where do I start?I am particularly looking for Giovannis son Alberto born in Italy in 1941 and immigrated to Buenos Aires in 1947 or 1949.My grandma Flora Nicosia immigrated to Canada in 1956 she tried to get Alberto to Canada in 1958-59 but never heard from him again.She often wonders if hes alive and I made her a promise that I would search for him until I find out his faith.She is now 79yrs old and I am desperate any help would be appreciated.
Thank-you
Joey
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Nicosia family

Post by mfjp »

Where in Canada?
j.sikkens
Rookie
Rookie

Post by j.sikkens »

She immigrated to Jasper Alberta and then Edmonton Alberta
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Do you know which town in Sicily?

A few people immigrated here... just search with surname only.... maybe you may find some family here...

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/scripts/ResearcherScreen.asp
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Alberto would have only been age 6-8 when he left Italy for Buenos Aires ...? What if he just never left Buenos Aires...?? Does your Grandmother know for sure that he did leave??

Maybe some of our South American paesanos can give you better advice.
------------------------------------------------------------
Or you can search here... an Alberto does show up with an address...

http://www.telexplorer.com.ar/telexplorer/sp/?

Put in surname first, then given name...
j.sikkens
Rookie
Rookie

Post by j.sikkens »

Yes he was only 6-8yrs old and his dad died in 1954 in Buenos Aires.His mom Bruna Miazzo (Nicosia) then remarried again we donot know to who other than it was the guy she worked for.He wrote from Argentina in 1958-59 that things were not good and if my grandma could get him to Canada as she was his step sister and could maybe do it but she never heard from him again.So I believe he is still in Argentina.I have found 6 different phone numbers for a Alberto Nicosia in the international phone directory but how do you communicate I donot know Spanish nor Italian.
Thanks Joey
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Joey,

Do these 6 phone numbers include an address... ?

It wouldn't hurt to write a letter and send them out... include an email address, maybe a self addressed stamped envelope... but you would need correct postage... check with your Postal Outlet...

Maybe you could write a brief and specific letter in English and post it here at this forum... maybe someone could help translate it...

Maybe include a photocopy of Flora?? Is that a wise thing... I don't know...

6 letters ain't so bad... I have read posts on this forum about people writing letters with good results.

mfjp
j.sikkens
Rookie
Rookie

Post by j.sikkens »

Thanks for the info.So where are you from?I am from northern alberta and live on a farm.My husband and I raise whitetail deer and love it ever this way we'll take you on a tour.Well thanks again for your help anything is better than nothing.
Joey
dsillyp

Post by dsillyp »

My family is from Sicily as well. Bafia, Castroreale and Barcellona area. Can't help much with Canada unless they came by way of New York. www.ellisislandrecords.com is just a priceless website for searching immigrants.
bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao ciao ciao!
j.sikkens
Rookie
Rookie

Post by j.sikkens »

I am not looking for anyone in Canada I am looking for an Alberto Nicosia in Buenos Aires Argentina or in Italy.I must not have made myself clear in my post.Sorry.I donot know if he is alive or not he would be 64yrs old this year.I also should have alot of Nicosia relatives alive in Italy or Argentina that Im hoping to find out about.Well thats about it.
Thanks-----Joey
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Joey,

Talk to your grandmother and make sure you know what town or village the family was from in Italy. Did they live in the same town of their birth? In Italy all records are kept in the town of origin. Once you know (perhaps you know this already, but it wasn't in your post) where in Italy the family was from you can write for information on the family. The town would know if the person you are seeking has returned there. You can also search the Italian phone book for Nicosia family members in Italy. Perhaps someone there will have more information for you.

Debbie
j.sikkens
Rookie
Rookie

Post by j.sikkens »

I do thank you guys all for your help.I do know that my great grandfather left sicily and moved to Mestre Italy.This is where I know that they were born so do you know how I find the information on Mestre as I donot seem to beable to even find Mestre Italy?Or do I need to look in Venus?All your help is much appreciated.
Thanks Joey
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?la ... 7&size=big

area map.... but zoom in for better detail.

The Locations Database from this forum is quite good!

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/index.php?name=locs

mfjp
j.sikkens
Rookie
Rookie

Post by j.sikkens »

Thanks for the map but now how do I get an address to write to there any leads?I was also wondering how I could get my great grandfathers death certificate from Buenos Aires Argentina.He died in 1954 but am not sure of the month or date.Do you know if it was hard for people that immigrated to Argentina from Italy to beable to get back to Italy if they wanted.Like Alberto was only 6-8yrs old when he immigrated with his dad would he of had a Italian citizenship a Argentina citizenship or a duo citizenship.Would he have needed a relative to get him back into Italy when he became an adult.Also was even wondering if it was custom for the mother when she remarried to have Alberto keep his name or would he have taken the name of his mothers new husband?I now know that she remarried and had 2 more kids with the new one.
Thanks.............Joey
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There are 3 persons surnamed Nicosia in Mestre, the following link will provide you with their address and phone number:

http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... e&x=58&y=7

and 6 persons in Venezia:

http://www.paginebianche.it/pb/cerca?bt ... =88903&cf=&

You can use the following letter to write to potential relatives:

http://www.mangeruca.com/potential_relative.htm

wldspirit
j.sikkens
Rookie
Rookie

Post by j.sikkens »

Thanks for the info wldspirit.I think the letter will be quite useful.So are you looking for family to if so whats the name?Do you know if any of them came to Canada?Well thanks again...
Joey