Question on Act No. 91 of 5 February 1992, Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
SELopatin

Question on Act No. 91 of 5 February 1992, Citizenship

Post by SELopatin »

Hello,

I have a question about Act No. 91 of 5 February 1992, specifically Articles 9 and 4. They state the following:

Article 9
1.Italian citizenship may be granted by Order of the President of the Republic upon the recommendation of the Minister for the Interior, following consultation of the Council of State, to:
(a)aliens whose father or mother or one of whose direct ascendants in the second degree have been citizens by birth, or who were born in the territory of the Republic and who, in both these cases, have been legally resident in the territory for at least three years, subject to the provisions of article 4, paragraph 1, subparagraph (c);

Article 4
1.An alien or stateless person whose father or mother, or one of whose direct ascendants in the second degree were citizens by birth shall become a citizen:
(c)if, having reached full age, they have had legal residence for at least two years in the territory of the Republic and declare, within one year of attaining their majority, that they wish to obtain Italian citizenship.

I have lived in Italy legally for a year and a half (I am a student here) and will stay until at least the 2 year mark and my grandfather was born in Italy. Does this qualify me for citizenship through Article 9?

I do not qualify for dual citizenship otherwise because my grandfather became an American citizen before my mother was born.

Does anyone have experience with this law and would be able to help?

Thank you very much,
Sara
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Question on Act No. 91 of 5 February 1992, Citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You would qualify under Article 9 on the basis that your grandfather (2nd degree ancestor) was born an Italian citizen. As it says, however, you must reside in Italy legally for a period of three full years.

There are others here who can be more definitive regarding the exact rules. You may also want to visit the ExpatsInItaly forum ( http://expatsinitaly.com/phpbbforum/viewforum.php?f=2 ) where you will find people who have actually gone through this procedure.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
SELopatin

Post by SELopatin »

I will definitely check out the ExpatsInItaly forum. Thanks so much!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

If you want to apply there in Italy, because your grandfather became citizenship before your mom was born, you need to live in italy as a legal resident for 3 years, after that you can apply in italy, and get the citizenship there in italy (so wait 2 more year) all togheter is 5 years in italy, as a legal resident
I hope it helps
bye riccardo
SELopatin

Post by SELopatin »

Hi Riccardo,

Thank you for your response. Can you tell me why it takes an additional 2 years to get the citizenship from the time that you apply? Is this how long it takes for the paperwork to be processed or is it just a required waiting time?

Thank you,
Sara
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

FrOm what I understand and have read on these forums when you " naturalize " as an Italian citizen Rome is given two years by law to either approve or deNy your application. And they kist happen to usually use as much time as they are allowed . So it takes two years for the paper work because they are either busy or because they can.
SELopatin

Post by SELopatin »

Gotcha...thanks!